PDA

View Full Version : Ever been scammed by your LFS?

rjsilvers
06/02/2008, 03:20 PM
Disclaimer: I don't want this to be a pro/con LFS thread. I'm just telling of my experience at ONE LFS...

So anyway... I had the weirdest experience at my LFS yesterday. I went to look at corals and get a clean up crew for my 180g and one of the employees that I've never dealt with before was the only one in the store...

I told him that I wanted a coral banded shrimp ($16 on the glass) and 30 nassarius snails ($1.25 on the glass) and 15 astreas ($1.50 on the glass)... He got those, no problem.

So I went over to the coral tanks. There was a huge toadstool that I wanted. The price on the glass was $65.00. I thought it was a good price and was considering it, then I saw a smaller (about 2") toadstool that I wanted instead. I asked how much it was and he said:

LFS Employee: Oh THIS one? This is a very rare coral. It's really expensive.. It's uh... $65.00.
Me: $65.00? What about THIS huge one over here? The glass say that IT'S $65.00...
LFS Employee: *long awkward pause* No that one is $200.00. The $65.00 is for the small one.

..... Can you believe that? $65.00 for a toadstool frag?

So I of course declined... And there was a flower pot (goniopora) that I liked. The glass said: Flower pot coral - $45.00.

Me: Is that flower pot still $45.00?
LFS Employee: What flower pot?
Me: The one right there...
LFS Employee: Oh no. We sold the flower pot in that tank. That's an acropora. It's $80.00.

So I gave up. I didn't get any corals. That was just too silly.

So I went to pay for my snails and shrimp and he's writing out the receipt and he writes down $35.00 for the shrimp.

Me: Umm the glass says $16.00 for the coral banded...
LFS Employee: That's the old price.
Me: Well I don't want it then. That's way too much.
LFS Employee: I already bagged it up.
Me: I'm not paying $35.00 for it.

So he crossed it out and wrote down the snails.... Nassarius..... $1.25 x 30...... $65.00.

I almost fell over. I told him that his math is wrong and he double-checked it with a calculator and changed it...

So I left with just my snails and nothing else. But I think I shouldn't have bought anything from them because of their scammy business practices...

Is this pretty common at LFSes or is mine just a really great one? :rolleyes:

Jay1982
06/02/2008, 03:27 PM
I would have asked for a manager, and if unavailable, would not have left the place without having the owner come down. I would have lost it on that guy to be honest with you.

demonsp
06/02/2008, 03:31 PM
In most cases this would work. Selling to an un educated reefer equals better sales.

stuccodude
06/02/2008, 03:33 PM
you wernt being scammed by the store but by that employee that was gonna pocket the extra money.

abulgin
06/02/2008, 03:37 PM
I don't know how your LFS work, but the one I go to has one guy--the owner--in charge of corals. Pretty much no one else knows about or deals with them. I had my eye on this beautiful, huge green Pavona for a long time. There was no price on the glass. I asked an employee what the price was. He said he had no idea because the owner wasn't there and, thus, couldn't sell it. I asked a manager, and she called the owner--says it's $120. I walk away but buy a nice Acro efflorescens instead for $40. The next week I go in, and on the price on the glass for the Pavona is $75 and for the Acro is $30. I buy the Pavona. I seriously think that the LFS prices coral like oil--every day is a different price. I got this Merulina for $25: http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii81/abulgin/DSC_0654.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii81/abulgin/DSC_0920.jpg

bandh0526
06/02/2008, 03:38 PM
Mine's a lot like that. The price on the glass is NEVER the actual price for some reason...such as "oh, my guys marked it wrong, it's not $35 it's $55." or "that was the old price on a smaller one, this is the new price." It's really frutrating. I did find a really good LFS but it's not as "local" it's actually about 100 miles away, but I gladly drive that far for such a good quality store!

Jay1982
06/02/2008, 03:45 PM
I don't know how it works in the US. But in Canada there is a law where if something is marked at a certain price, mistake or no mistake, the retailer MUST sell it to you for that price. If he doesn't, the store can get fined. And with camera phones these days, it makes it a lot easier to catch these crooks

rjsilvers
06/02/2008, 03:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12663843#post12663843 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jay1982
I would have asked for a manager, and if unavailable, would not have left the place without having the owner come down. I would have lost it on that guy to be honest with you.

I've dealt directly with the manager before... He's an older chinese guy and is very good about prices. He even gave me a deal on clowns without even asking. I think he just hires untrustworthy people because he can't be there all the time.

I was just really....kind of confused. Like surreal. Like i was in bizarro LFS. My wife was there with me. It was pretty silly that everything I wanted was either marked wrong or he claimed the coral was something else entirely.

rjsilvers
06/02/2008, 03:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12663863#post12663863 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
In most cases this would work. Selling to an un educated reefer equals better sales.

I bet it happens just like that a lot.

Even my wife (who knows very little about reefs) was kind of scoffing when he told me the prices. :lol:

rjsilvers
06/02/2008, 03:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12663877#post12663877 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stuccodude
you wernt being scammed by the store but by that employee that was gonna pocket the extra money.

I was thinking that's what he was trying to do as well... But I paid by debit card.. I dunno if they are able to pocket money from debit/credit transactions or not.

rjsilvers
06/02/2008, 03:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12663909#post12663909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brandonandholly
Mine's a lot like that. The price on the glass is NEVER the actual price for some reason...such as "oh, my guys marked it wrong, it's not $35 it's $55." or "that was the old price on a smaller one, this is the new price." It's really frutrating. I did find a really good LFS but it's not as "local" it's actually about 100 miles away, but I gladly drive that far for such a good quality store!

Isn't that funny? The price is always wrong but it's always in the store's favor... :)

rjsilvers
06/02/2008, 03:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12663949#post12663949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jay1982
I don't know how it works in the US. But in Canada there is a law where if something is marked at a certain price, mistake or no mistake, the retailer MUST sell it to you for that price. If he doesn't, the store can get fined. And with camera phones these days, it makes it a lot easier to catch these crooks

I've heard that before, too... Not sure if it works like that in every state or not.

I know like major retailers (Target, Walmart, etc.) will give you that -one- item for the mistaken price but that's all.

Jay1982
06/02/2008, 03:59 PM
I remember a store I worked at would give you the item for FREE if the price was wrong. I know up here if you open a case, its pretty much followed through. Which is why at some coral stores there are no prices ANYWHERE. And that bugs me, lol.

reefergeorge
06/02/2008, 04:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12663986#post12663986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rjsilvers
I've heard that before, too... Not sure if it works like that in every state or not.

I know like major retailers (Target, Walmart, etc.) will give you that -one- item for the mistaken price but that's all.

When I worked at Sears they sold it for the marked price. Even if it were a penny.
That's sad you guys have these experiences, but around here we have some good lfs.
The other day I was looking at an angler, and asked how much? The guy didn't know so he called the owner. The owner said $35. A few min. later we say the price of $45, and he told me if I wanted it for $35 it wouldn't be a problem.

seapug
06/02/2008, 04:32 PM
I doubt it was any kind of intentional scam to rip you off, but rather just an employee that didn't know what he was doing. There's no mistaking an Acropora for a Goniopora, so someone obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

rjsilvers
06/02/2008, 04:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12664246#post12664246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
I doubt it was any kind of intentional scam to rip you off, but rather just an employee that didn't know what he was doing. There's no mistaking an Acropora for a Goniopora, so someone obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

There isn't, thank goodness. Or else I might have been duped into buying it and then I would come on RC and post pics of my new "acropora" and get laughed at. :D

If it was just that one thing I would have let it slide... But as a whole, I don't see how he could have made honest mistakes on EVERY thing I asked about. He's been working there at least 3 months, I've just never dealt with him before because he's always at the front chatting with his friends.

If he had said "Oh I'm not sure, let me ask..." Wouldn't that have been much better than telling me a toadstool is an ultra rare and expensive coral? :)

seapug
06/02/2008, 05:00 PM
well, there's never a shortage of idiots in the world, for sure.

acrodave
06/02/2008, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12664246#post12664246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug

maybe he was trying to say alveopora

rjsilvers
06/02/2008, 05:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12664590#post12664590 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acrodave
maybe he was trying to say alveopora

He for sure said acropora... but if he meant alveopora... He'd still be wrong.

24 tentacles per polyp instead of 12.

acrodave
06/02/2008, 05:30 PM
Oh i know the diff .. im not defending him. i know how hard some of these names are to say

demonsp
06/02/2008, 05:31 PM
I didnt say it first but do agree... "Theres a sucker born every minute"..

Been_There8
06/02/2008, 06:54 PM
Well, I guess i got scammed one way or another.

I had first started with a 10g tank. Didn't really think about researching online first. So i go to the store, and i see that i love the yellow tang more than anything. So i show it to the guy, and knowing that i told him im starting my first tank, and i had purchased the 10g tank up on the counter, he says, ok how many would you like. Then i get a guy over to the right chuckling at me, and says i shouldnt do it. But i didnt belive him because he didnt work at the store. So i just ask the guy if its alright with my putting 2 yellow tangs that are 3 inches each in that tank. Then what he does is walks me up to my tank, and holds up each bag of a yellow tang up to my tank. He sais, ok do you see that they fit?..

rjsilvers
06/02/2008, 06:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12665329#post12665329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Been_There8
Then what he does is walks me up to my tank, and holds up each bag of a yellow tang up to my tank. He sais, ok do you see that they fit?..

Oh wow... I think that tops my story. :eek:

plateboy3293
06/02/2008, 07:19 PM
I walk over to a 10 gallon display system attached to about 14 other 10 gallons
I ask how much for the feather duster he says 10 bucks then I point at a feather duster and say alright 10 bucks okay I'll take it. The guy says no thats not a feather duster thats a coco worm. How much 70.00 bucks. I walk over to another tank and say how much for this coco again its a feather duster not a coco. I show the book I have on me that says coco worms have hard tubes doesn't believe me or the book. Asks another employee by the end I have 6 employees and a manager all agreeing that its a fetaher duster not a coco so I walk away with a 70.00 dollar item for 10.00 bucks

teetimefun
06/02/2008, 07:53 PM
I deal with employees and the overcharge scam is pretty easy even with a debit card. We have cameras now because of one of these scams in particular. LFS with low traffic and low numbers of employees actually makes it easier. If you feel you are being wrongly charged let the manager know or let the owner know as it really helps businesses that are trying to cut costs.

agreeive?fish
06/02/2008, 08:07 PM
My lfs is a mom and pop store and all prices are clearly marked with a pic of the item and the price..small store and small selection especially on corals ..maybe 5 corals max in the store at any one time kinda high though as they cater to the jet jockies at the local airforce base..but good people

the other store in town could not tell you if it is a fish, a coral or a fish tank and iam not kidding and they never know what the price is ..its always i call the owner and find out..and you get 3 diffrent prices before they get off the phone and anther price at the cash register so i just dont go to that one..even the owner will give you multiple prices if she is at the store so the employees are only following her example iam honestly not sure but i dont think she can tell a great white shark from a feeder guppy

pRadaaaaa
06/02/2008, 08:13 PM
I would have to say, the LFS in Oregon are pretty cool, honest and fair. Im sorry that you had to experience that type of customer service behavior. I think that was messed up.

evilspaz
06/02/2008, 08:48 PM
Theres a LFS like that here to, they want 10$ for a 3 stripe damsal
and 15$ for a Domino Damsal (they say there rare and peacefull my mom beleaved the guy and bought one):furious:

-Zakk

InsaneClownFish
06/02/2008, 10:11 PM
All too common practice in LFS stores unfortunately. Oftentimes the owners are far worse than the employees.

justsomeguy
06/02/2008, 11:00 PM
I've never had that problem with my LFS's. At least not with pricing, they've never charged me more than what was on the glass. However, when asking questions about corals, fish, crabs etc..., they seem to tell you what you want to hear. That's why I do research before I buy. I usually go into the LFS with a list of what I want, and if they don't have it, I don't buy anything.

D to the P
06/02/2008, 11:13 PM
I'm sure there are people who do scam. I think it's that way in a lot of businesses (hell look at mechanics) unfortunately. In this case though it sounded like stupidity. Unless of course he was going to pocket the money. I'm only saying that because unless the kid was just an A-hole I doubt he would see much of the money, and if the owner (who you've described as a fair person) ever found out I'm sure that person would be fired (or at least reprimanded) and see even less money.
That yellow tang in a ten gallon story was ridiculous though I can't believe he held it up to the tank to see if it would "work". I used to go around to other pet stores and see what kind of "practices" they were committing and whether or not they were just blowing smoke in places that my bathing suit would cover.

jvr1102
06/03/2008, 12:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12663949#post12663949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jay1982

Now now they aren't all crooks some may be honest mistakes. Think of this also, lets say Joe part timer puts the wrong price on now they have to sell you a 150$ coral for 25$. Should this kid possibly lose his job over it? Or how about when you sometimes get the wrong change back at a store or bank, they can lose their job as well from an honest mistake. Don't get me wrong there are crooks and honest mistakes just make sure you don't try and make a point out of a situation and somebody lose there job just trying their hardest to do the job. But the guy in the story above was def a crook

Savas
06/03/2008, 06:24 AM
Welcome to what $6.50 an hour buys you in labor these days.

bandh0526
06/03/2008, 07:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12663969#post12663969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rjsilvers
Isn't that funny? The price is always wrong but it's always in the store's favor... :)

I know! I would LOVE to walk in and ask the price on something and them tell me..."oh, that's marked wrong, it should be $20 instead of $40...let me get someone to fix that." :rolleye1:
Only in my dreams, I suppose...

Jay1982
06/03/2008, 11:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12667625#post12667625 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jvr1102
Now now they aren't all crooks some may be honest mistakes. Think of this also, lets say Joe part timer puts the wrong price on now they have to sell you a 150$ coral for 25$. Should this kid possibly lose his job over it? Or how about when you sometimes get the wrong change back at a store or bank, they can lose their job as well from an honest mistake. Don't get me wrong there are crooks and honest mistakes just make sure you don't try and make a point out of a situation and somebody lose there job just trying their hardest to do the job. But the guy in the story above was def a crook

I hear ya, but its kinda easy to see to see if it was an honest mistake, or the guy is a douche. I wouldn't want someone to get fired because of me in either way. But normally when the whole thing starts off, you can generally get the sense of what kind of person the guy/girl is.

sqreef52
06/03/2008, 01:06 PM
wow...he jus sounded like an idiot...glad he didn't get his money off of you...

rjsilvers
06/03/2008, 01:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12667625#post12667625 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jvr1102

I see your point. I didn't make a big deal of it... I just didn't buy anything.

But I can see where other people just getting into reefing would be very put off by having their LFS sell them a toadstool for $200 only to find out they can get one for $20 online. Or even not checking the receipt before they pay and getting scammed out of $40 on snails. They only give 50% store credit on returns, so it's not like they'd ever get your money back.

Whether it was an honest mistake or not, there were far too many of them for my taste.

singold
06/03/2008, 04:25 PM
He probably assumed that you were naive to hobby and prices due to fact you were buying a cleaner crew so were assumed as a beginner.

JER-Z
06/03/2008, 04:57 PM

yes people should get fired for honest mistakes. If they are too stupid to get pricing right and give back proper change they are not qualified for the position.

inthedeep2
06/03/2008, 05:25 PM
ive never had any problems with any of the stores i got into.. i actually can walk into any of them and spend hours just talking reef with the guys, also there are many deals ive gotten just buy chatting and then finally saying ohh ill take that..
the other day walked in and bought a good 6lb live rock with 7 med to small size kenya trees on it for $10.. but also its good to know the guys your buying from.

scrmbld33
06/03/2008, 06:15 PM
theres a LFS near me that seperates the fish in different tanks and puts different prices on them. seen it in there tons of times. they always come up with different excuses like size (even though there is no visible size differance) or wild caught.

they had blue reef chromis in a delivery, i watched the guy dump half in one tank and half in another all from the same bag. one tank was 14.99 the other was "diver caught" 29.99.

i no longer go there, i mentioned it to the guy and he said he had to change the price, next day same price. told the "manager about what i saw and the lack of aclimating. i was told they were defitly diver caught and she knew 100% and thats why they were more. i no longer go there, honesty is a big deal when shopping, mistakes happen, but as mention above its never in the customers favor at lfs

pIankton
06/03/2008, 06:47 PM
I pre-ordered (and pre-paid) for 120 lbs of Marshall Island from a "trusted" LFS. When the rock came in, he called me while I was at work. I told him I couldn't get there until after I got out of work. During that 4 hr period, he sold it all out from under me. When I got there, there was only a small 8 lb piece left. After I called him ranting and raving, he ordered more and the next week when it came in, I went to the airport with him to pick it up. We took it back to his place and I cherry picked through 6 boxes of rock.

I haven't been back since.

D to the P
06/03/2008, 08:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12672614#post12672614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scrmbld33
theres a LFS near me that seperates the fish in different tanks and puts different prices on them. seen it in there tons of times. they always come up with different excuses like size (even though there is no visible size differance) or wild caught.

they had blue reef chromis in a delivery, i watched the guy dump half in one tank and half in another all from the same bag. one tank was 14.99 the other was "diver caught" 29.99.

i no longer go there, i mentioned it to the guy and he said he had to change the price, next day same price. told the "manager about what i saw and the lack of aclimating. i was told they were defitly diver caught and she knew 100% and thats why they were more. i no longer go there, honesty is a big deal when shopping, mistakes happen, but as mention above its never in the customers favor at lfs
Wow, that is some shifty -f service. Diver caught, that has to be one of the more retarded titles for an otherwise run of the mill fish that I've ever heard.

Jay1982
06/03/2008, 08:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12672807#post12672807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pIankton
I pre-ordered (and pre-paid) for 120 lbs of Marshall Island from a "trusted" LFS. When the rock came in, he called me while I was at work. I told him I couldn't get there until after I got out of work. During that 4 hr period, he sold it all out from under me. When I got there, there was only a small 8 lb piece left. After I called him ranting and raving, he ordered more and the next week when it came in, I went to the airport with him to pick it up. We took it back to his place and I cherry picked through 6 boxes of rock.

I haven't been back since.

On the bright side, at least you got to cherry pick the next batch! Its unfortunate how there is terrible customer service across the board in our society....

scrmbld33
06/04/2008, 06:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12673766#post12673766 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D to the P
Wow, that is some shifty -f service. Diver caught, that has to be one of the more retarded titles for an otherwise run of the mill fish that I've ever heard.

makes me wonder how many people fall for it and pay extra

Aidan
06/04/2008, 09:17 AM
I would have just asked to talk to a manager or better still remind them that if the price is listed it has to be sold for that ammount, at least its the law where I live, I have had to do this a few times at non LFS and if works quite well when you tell them you know your rights even if they dont have a clue. In this case you would have scared the guy stupid LOL. I would also suggest going back often till you find the owner or manager and report the incident Im sure they had no clue and its probably happening every day.