PDA

View Full Version : Two quick questions

daw422
06/02/2008, 04:36 PM
Well...more like one quick question, and some opinions on a skimmer :)

First - DI, as in RO/DI - I know RO is Reverse Osmosis. Is DI short for distilled, or deionized? I always assumed it was deionized, but some comments I've read lately have me wondering. I've read a few comments about how the DI resin would be used up quickly if you ran tap water straight through a DI unit, rather than through an RO unit first. The reference to DI resin makes me pretty sure DI is being used for Deionized. On the other hand, I've recently read some comments that suggest it may mean distilled.

As I said, I'm pretty sure it's short for deionized, but it's been bugging me the past day.

Now for the opinion poll.

Skimmer for a 20g high tank w/ a 10g sump - which option is better:

AquaC remora HOB (hanging in the sump)

Or should I go with a non-HOB style one of a suitable size?

Playa-1
06/02/2008, 04:39 PM
deionized

I have no opinion on the skimmers.

Aquarist007
06/02/2008, 04:46 PM
deionized.

distilled water gets 90 percent of total dissolved substances out of the water

ro water gets 95 percent of TDS's out of the water

ro/di gets 100 percent of TDS's out of the water

I am running the hob remora on my 30 gal fowlr tank with the internal overflow--very pleased with it

EllieSuz
06/02/2008, 04:57 PM
Skimmer in the sump is so much more attractive than another piece of junk hanging on your tank. In my mind, it's the number one advantage of a sump: a place to hide all that equipment.

jthao
06/02/2008, 07:03 PM
if you have a sump why would you want a hob??

daw422
06/02/2008, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12665392#post12665392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jthao
if you have a sump why would you want a hob??

I'm mainly asking because I've seen a few good deals on use remora HOB's, and was curious how it compared to non-hob skimmers in it's price range. If I went with the HOB, it would be hanging on the side of the drain side of the sump.

Also, I've read pretty good things about the remora HOB, while I haven't found much about non-hobs in it's price range. The sump will be made from a standard 10g tank, so space will be tight. If the remora hob is good as similarly priced in sump units, I could potentially make my 'fuge a bit bigger.

Aquarist007
06/02/2008, 08:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12665435#post12665435 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by daw422
I'm mainly asking because I've seen a few good deals on use remora HOB's, and was curious how it compared to non-hob skimmers in it's price range. If I went with the HOB, it would be hanging on the side of the drain side of the sump.

Also, I've read pretty good things about the remora HOB, while I haven't found much about non-hobs in it's price range. The sump will be made from a standard 10g tank, so space will be tight. If the remora hob is good as similarly priced in sump units, I could potentially make my 'fuge a bit bigger.

that's a good idea and it would work