PDA

View Full Version : Skimming?

B192734
06/03/2008, 12:33 PM
So I have a 20g running right now. It's been up and healthy for 2 years. About 1 month ago my heater died and I caught the tank at about 95+ degrees. I lost my mushrooms and corals, but the zoo's made it and a little flower anemonie made it along with my clown and little yellowtail Damsel. Things areback on track now, and the tank is doing well. My question is: I removed the little skilter filter that I had and am currently using a cannister that was on the tank being used as extra filtration and water movement. The skilter had become really salt encrusted, and needed cleaning. How important is it in a nano like this to have a skimmer? I do regular water changes each week and try to keep everything clean. Everything seems good with the water parameters. So I was just trying to figure out how much skimming would actually be needed on a small tank like this with good water changes happening.

StevieTdrill
06/03/2008, 01:53 PM
It is not as important as weekly water changes. You can run a tank skimmerless if it is that small, yet they will help. Personally I will always run one over 10 gallons, but you can still run a healthy reef with water changes.

After you see what it pulls out it is a good idea, but not necessary. Sorry for the 50/50 answer....

Jenisiz
06/03/2008, 06:10 PM
Ime skimmers aren't essential if one provides the proper substitutes....I.e. Water changes. I've run up to a 29 gallon skimmerless and had prolific softy growth. However the livestock load was on the lighter side. Since your system is on the rebound, I'd let it be for a few more months. IME you want to either start out skimmerless or attempt it on a healthy and mature system. If you think she's ready then pull the training wheels and have at it. Just remember to watch your feedings. Some like Eric borneman preach about controlled overfeeding but I find the "only throw in what can be consumed in 3 min" rule. Remember removing the skimmer is like removing the training wheels...focus and keep your eyes on the road...