PDA

View Full Version : Getting water ready before doing water change..suggestions?

joem1cha3l
06/03/2008, 01:39 PM
I was going to put the water into a 5 gallon bucket along with a koralia to flow it around for about 12-24 hours so that the salt dissolves well and i can check my alkinity before I add it....Is this too much, just neccessary or overkill? Thanks guys

matthewscars
06/03/2008, 01:42 PM
I have a 44gal brute bucket I fill the day before.

Dump in salt, a powerhead, and a heater.

Get a bigger bucket and do the same :)

AngeloM3
06/03/2008, 03:34 PM
Not overkill at all.
Its better to let it sit at least 12hrs to be 110% all the salt is dissolved. If you want you could always throw in an air stone to get some O2 in there, but thats optional.

I hope your using a heater too... you don't want to add cold water to your tank.

prime311
06/03/2008, 03:39 PM
I also have brutes I use to hold my ro/di water. Don't waste your money on the cheaper cans, the 2 I originally bought didn't last 3 weeks before they sprung leaks.

szwab
06/03/2008, 03:47 PM
looks like you have things set up pretty well. Not only are you dissolving the salt with the korallia but in addition the turbulence will help aerate the water. the time is necessary for the salt to stabilize especially alkalinity. Key to remember is you want to match the parameters with temp, s.g. cal,alk. for a 29 gal. tank the 5 gal bucket should be sufficient. If it were me I would do a slightly larger water change though. If you can find a restaurant supply store they generally carry brutes of all sizes.

Playa-1
06/03/2008, 03:50 PM
I remix mine as I use it up.
I have a 30 gal brute. If I use 15 gallons then I will remix 15 gallons to keep it full. I Usually have 20 to 30 gal of mixed salt water ready to go. I just leave a powerhead in it to keep it circulated. It's a gr8 peace of mind to have some extra water ready to go in case of emergency.
I actually have three brute 30 gallon cans. One for RO, one for mixed salt water and currently one is empty. I mix Kalk by the 5 gallon container. I don't bother with heating the 30 of salt mix due to the fact that I live in a mild climate and the water temp doesn't fluxuate that much.