PDA

View Full Version : want a slow drip of kalk into my 45gal + 25gal sump -best system?

jeffgnz
06/03/2008, 05:59 PM
I'm not much into DIY and hacking stuff together. I have not used kalk before but would like to start, i figure in a tank my size just a steady slow drip will do? Can anyone recommend a system for this? I mixed kalk once and notice it settles on the bottom so I am assuming it would be best to get a device that keeps it stirred? and a dosing pump of some kind? I would also like to be able to mix up enough so that it will dose steady for a week or so. I've looked at marinedepot etc but am really hoping to get a few links and a 'this is exactly what you need right here dude' replt. Thanks!!

BCreefmaker
06/03/2008, 06:40 PM
kalkwasser has to be dripped under pressure, or pumped. if you just drip it under gravity feed it will encrust and clog after a few hours or a day of operation usually. ask for a kalk stirring, i prefer to just find out how much kalk you need to add you your daily RO/DI top off and slowly pressure drip, or pump it in. just make sure there is no solid kalkwasser entering the system. if enough solid kalkwasser enters enters your system it can wreck havock on your water parameters.

realest
06/03/2008, 07:09 PM
I use kalk drip with gravity. And have been doing it for the past 6 months. It is true the valve do get clog up. But again, i do my weekly clean up on the tank and that includes the clogged valve for the kalk drip.

My experince would be, it is ok to drip kalk by gravity.

jeffgnz
06/03/2008, 07:19 PM
but kalk settles so if you do it by gravity does it not administer a stronger dose from the bottom region of the bag or container?