PDA

View Full Version : Sick tang

jtarmitage
06/03/2008, 08:50 PM
I've got a small Blue Eye tang that I recently purchased that is very lethargic and hasn't been eating the past couple of days. He seemed to eat for a day or two after I got him, then stopped. Tonight I noticed a small, white stringy substance coming out of his mouth. I can see it go in and out as he passes water. From outward appearances, lethargy not withstanding, he appears fine, but I'm preparing for the worst. Anyone have any idea what I'm dealing with here or how to treat it?

jtarmitage
06/03/2008, 08:58 PM
Here is a picture for reference. It's hard to see here, but you can see the cloudy, fleshy looking area around the mouth.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn118/jtarmitage/SickBlueEye002.jpg

tbone28
06/03/2008, 09:25 PM
Not sure what that is, Jeremy. Hoping for the best :)

jtarmitage
06/03/2008, 09:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12674229#post12674229 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
Not sure what that is, Jeremy. Hoping for the best :)

Thanks Terry, me too.

Jim_S
06/03/2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I've never seen that :(

Is the fish still eating Jeremy?

jtarmitage
06/03/2008, 10:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12674608#post12674608 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jim_S
Yeah, I've never seen that :(

Is the fish still eating Jeremy?

No. I also know that he's not being beat up by the spotted unicorn or Barienne. He doesn't even care or flinch when the swim around him. He does occasionally leave his hidey hole and swim around a bit. I'm hoping he's finding scraps to eat when I'm not looking.

Jim_S
06/03/2008, 11:04 PM
Yeah, me too!

Can you pull the scopas and put it in the fuge tank for now and then put the kole in w/your frags? That system is much more mature right? It may be better off in there.

jtarmitage
06/03/2008, 11:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12674953#post12674953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jim_S
Yeah, me too!

Can you pull the scopas and put it in the fuge tank for now and then put the kole in w/your frags? That system is much more mature right? It may be better off in there.

I thought about putting him in the other fuge, but am concerned about whether or not this is transmissible. Don't want to expose the fish in the other system. One blue eye is not as valuable as the load of fish in the other system.

TerryB
06/04/2008, 12:55 AM
It is common for tangs to suffer injuries to the mouth during all the handling, netting, transport etc. I hope you have it in a cycled quarantine tank. I would use some Maracyn-Two at double strength, or Nitrofurazone, or Kanamycin in a quarantine tank only. A short term bath with a good antiobitic might also work. Try not to remove the fish from water at any time and avoid nets. If the fish was eating then I would add a small amount of Beta Glucan to the food. Not a bad idea to add some Zoe or another vitamin to the Qtank water for now (not always a good idea).

Terry

jtarmitage
06/04/2008, 12:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12675423#post12675423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TerryB
It is common for tangs to suffer injuries to the mouth during all the handling, netting, transport etc. I hope you have it in a cycled quarantine tank. I would use some Maracyn-Two at double strength, or Nitrofurazone, or Kanamycin in a quarantine tank only. A short term bath with a good antiobitic might also work. Try not to remove the fish from water at any time and avoid nets. If the fish was eating then I would add a small amount of Beta Glucan to the food. Not a bad idea to add some Zoe or another vitamin to the Qtank water for now (not always a good idea).

Terry

Thank you for the response Terry. The fish is in the 55g fuge for my soon to be 250g tank with live rock, live sand, protein skimmer and HOB filter with seeded bio-rock(or whatever aquaclear calls it), and carbon. So, I can't treat that tank. I can take the HOB filter and bio-rock and set up the QT tank again. Long story, but it got taken down a month or so ago. Do you think a bath would work, or should I just re-set up the QT?
I have been using Selcon and Zoe on the food, but he doensn't appear to be eating at the moment.

jtarmitage
06/04/2008, 04:24 PM
Well, unfortunately it no longer matters. The Blue Eye died sometime in the last hour or so. Thanks for everyones wishes and assistance.:(

kdblove_99
06/11/2008, 12:20 AM
Sucks JT, Sorry to hear that as i know you had been waiting for this fish

baobao
10/13/2008, 09:20 AM
Terry,
You stated, "I would use some Maracyn-Two at double strength, or Nitrofurazone, or Kanamycin in a quarantine tank only. A short term bath with a good antiobitic might also work. "
-How do you choose between MT, N, or K?
-Could you elaborate on "a short term bath"?
I thought that typical treatment for infection manifesting in way of fin rot, etc. is to treat for a prolonged period (5-7 days).