PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about a dead shrimp.

bandh0526
06/04/2008, 10:11 AM
OK, this is slight paranoia, I'll admit...

We just added a fire shrimp and a cleaner shimp into our tank. Now we acclimated them in the usual way. They seemed to be doing great for the first few hours. We left for about and hour and came home to a dead cleaner shrimp. I know I'm gonna lose a fish here and there, but my question is...is there a possibility my foxface might have stung him?
The reason I ask, is that everything in our tank is doing great and my husband freaked a little to have a dead ANYTHING in our aquarium because we haven't had anything die in there yet. (It's relatively new) He was worried if the foxface might have stung him, or if he could've had so weird shrimpy disease - or could have been too stressed from the acclimation...he has a little of the "new tank syndrome" All we have in our 90g tank now is a foxface, 2 clowns, a scooter blenny, 5 chromis, a hairy mushroom, kenya trees, and some star polyps. All parameters are good.

Just let me know if it could've been foxy causing this poor shrimp's demise.

sunfish11
06/04/2008, 10:28 AM
I really don't think it was the Foxface or any other fish. I have seen them die right after being added before. They can be sensitve and die very quickly when added to a tank in which the water (quality/salinity) is signifigantly different from what they were used to. Also, if he was very stressed during capture and transport this could cause it. Usually when acclimated properly this doesn't happen. What is the usual way? How did you do it?

Lisa

bandh0526
06/04/2008, 10:51 AM
Drip acclimation, but it wasn't as long as we would normally do a fish.
I agree with the stressed part because the LFS employee had a hard time getting him out of the tank. That's what I've always thought it was but my husband was freaking out thinking that the foxface might have actually killed something in the tank.

sassafrass
06/04/2008, 11:17 AM
shrimp are more sensitive than most fish to changes in water chemistry so generally require a longer acclimation
Best of luck , Lee

bandh0526
06/04/2008, 11:34 AM
I will keep that in mind.

EllieSuz
06/04/2008, 11:47 AM
If the Foxface killed it, you wouldn't find a whole shrimp. Did you test your water after the shrimp died? You seem to have added a lot of livestock very quickly. I remember your first thread. Sometimes you have to be patient enough to let your tank mature before adding delicate animals like shrimp. Also, chances are slim that you have enough pod production to sustain the Scooter Blenny. Look for signs of a sunken belly. Their eating habits are the same as their close relative, the Mandarin.

sunfish11
06/04/2008, 12:15 PM
Also, since you just bought the shrip you have no way to know if it recently molted. They are even more sensitive after a molt.

Lisa

bandh0526
06/04/2008, 01:15 PM
Yes, I tested the water after the shrimp died. They were all normal. Everything was good. The scooter blenny seems to be doing really well. I'll keep an eye on him. When I first set up the tank and the parameters seemed to stablize (which didn't take very long) I added 5 chromis. A few days later we added about 10 hermits and 10 snails. About 2 weeks later we added the foxface and the blenny, and then the next week we added the shrimp. It does seem like a lot but they all seem to be doing really well. I kept testing my water throughout to make sure there were no spikes before I added a new fish. We haven't added anything since except for the mushroom and those few corals I have because we got them from my husband's brother who was having some massive problems with his tank and needed a safe house for them. We are kinda babysitting the corals right now.
I'll keep the heads up.

sassafrass
06/04/2008, 01:28 PM
The thing to test is the water the shrimp arrived in especially PH salinity and temp those are the things that will put it in shock
Regards , Lee

bandh0526
06/04/2008, 01:35 PM
I guess I didn't think of testing the water the shrimp was in. Since I did a drip acclimation, I guess I thought that would acclimate him well. Perhaps I went a little fast.
The fire shrimp is doing great, btw.