PDA

View Full Version : Slimy layer of water at top of tank.....

singold
06/04/2008, 08:35 PM
My tank is crystal clear except for slimy film & stagnant bubbles at top of tank. What is best to keep this off top of water. My tank is 4months old now? Is the protein skimmer the thing that keeps top of water clean. I think someone told me but forgot. I am getting my protein skimmer soon for my 55 gal, but is there any other advise to help this problem?

Currenltly, I have a Fluval 305 & a Whisper 60, Koralia3 Powerhead, & Coralife 10,000 watt light light

Beyond fish mentioned in my headline, I have a Pulsing Xenia with Zoanthids at base of rock it is on & Metallic Green Polyp medium size coral.

drpo21
06/04/2008, 10:00 PM
is there an overflow? if not then there is nothing to skim the surface. aim the korila3 a little toward the surface so it breaks the water on the top. all the nutrients in the water collect on the top and therefore will make a slimey coat.
a protein skimmer will work well if the top is first surface skimmed and then sucked into the skimmer.

McCrary
06/04/2008, 10:09 PM
The slimy layer at the top of the water is caused by organics accumulating in your tank. More flow will help to get rid of the layer, but the organics will still be there. A protein skimmer would definitely help get rid of the layer, as would do more water changes.