PDA

View Full Version : Fish room stand material

BongoSolo3
06/05/2008, 06:23 AM
We're in the process of planning the finishing of our basement, including a reef disp tank with a moderately sized fish room behind. We're looking to have several tank tanks in the room (frag, breeding, etc), so obviously we have to build a stand system...

What type of lumber do you guys used to build these backroom stands? Initially I was just thinking about framing with 2X4's and using 3/4" plywood as the top (kind of like how I built workbenches for the garage). But obviously they're going to often get wet... I didn't know if the ply would stand up to the constant wetting.

Any recommendations on a coating?

Thanks for the help....

mm949
06/05/2008, 09:06 AM
if using glass tanks ditch the ply.....or u can seal with thompson's or polyurethane

Esquare
06/05/2008, 09:12 AM
I used a galvanized steel lumber storage system from Grizzly.com. I have some pics in my gallery.

ReefEnabler
06/05/2008, 11:01 AM
Using 2x4s and plywood is fine. I'd say the vast majority of DIY stands are done that way. Make sure you primer and paint with something very moisture reistant though.

and do not use pressure treated lumber.

I painted my fishroom stand with a 2-part Epoxy paint from Sherwin Williams and its completely waterproof. There are 1 part epoxys that are very water reistant as well, or just go with an exterior latex based glossy paint, it will be fine.

polyurethane as mentioned above is another good way to go. you have alot of options that will work here.

Also how big is the tank?? you'll want to make sure to have additional 2x4s going perpendicular under the plywood if its very large.

that said, my next stand will be steel and powder coated :) but you have to start somewhere and there is nothing wrong with a nice wooden stand when protected properly from moisture.

BongoSolo3
06/05/2008, 12:26 PM
Ok, so sounds like I'm on the right track... as long as I coat it properly.

Thanks the input!