PDA

View Full Version : What to bring when picking up live rock?

MJDiP
06/05/2008, 02:34 PM
I should be buying my LR this weekend from a guy who has a lot on hand. What should he expect me to bring with me to make the exchange quick and easy (besides lots of $$$)? I'll be getting 100+ lbs. and I have a 24 gallon Rubbermaid I can use.

Should I bring any water from my tank, towels, etc? Should I expect to be able to put all of the rock in a single bin, or should I purchase a second one?

He's about 30 minutes from my house, if that helps.

Thanks!

gws76
06/05/2008, 02:55 PM
If you have an ice chest, you might bring it also. Probably wouldn't hurt to put the rock in some tank water.
A lot of people wrap the rocks in wet newpaper (that is the way my last order came in).
Either way when you remove it from one tank to put it in another container, it may start a cycle.

AngeloM3
06/05/2008, 03:15 PM
I definitely bring water to keep in the containers the rocks will be in
I'd bring more containers... much easier to move four 25lbs. containers than one big 100lbs container, nevermind how much water you use.

Also like the previous post.... it MAY set off a small cycle

xJake
06/05/2008, 03:18 PM
I'd bring a few more plastic bins just to be safe. Water from your tank probably won't be necessary, especially if you're just setting up your tank. You might also want to bring a thick pair of plastic coated (or similar type) work gloves. These protect your hands from getting any cuts or bruises as the rock can have tube worms that are sharp and can break skin.

ChrisKil
06/05/2008, 03:25 PM
I bought about that much rock from a guy tearing down his tank. I just brought my big trash can that I use for water-change water. He covered the rocks with his own water, but it wouldn't hurt to take your own water with you. AngeloM3 makes a good point about more small containers.

Also I would bring:
* Another guy to help you move the 100+ lbs of rock and water. Especially if you're using only one container.
* A scale is always nice. (Not that I don't trust people, but it makes things fair for everyone.)
* A pickup. There is no point putting all that water somewhere it can spill all over your interior.

MJDiP
06/05/2008, 03:55 PM
Exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for... Thanks guys!

Roy G. Biv
06/05/2008, 05:34 PM
I usually use 18g rubbermaid containers and wet newspaper.

cczarnik
06/05/2008, 06:03 PM
Lots of towels would make for a polite cleanup. A mess will be almost inevitable.

MrRoo
06/05/2008, 06:18 PM
I bought about 80lbs from a RCer and just went with buckets. I then took some rags and soaked them in tank water and put them over the rocks. I had an hour plus drive home and then they sat for a while as I reaquascaped my tank. 2 days later I still had no spikes of any kind and I also had ZOAS all over from the rocks I picked up. I would say the rocks and zoas were out of the water for about 2 hours.