PDA

View Full Version : Store bought shells, safe?

LJA
06/06/2008, 04:58 AM
My girlfriend bought two pretty cool looking shells for the tank, I really don't want to put them in but I'm going to anyway.

Just wondering if when they are processed they have any type of lacquer or sealant that will be harmful to the tank by leeching out.

So.. Safe or Unsafe that is the question....

LJA
06/06/2008, 12:23 PM
Anyone?

kfisc
06/06/2008, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't- do you know if they're fresh/saltwater species? Your instincts are on target; they could have been anywhere.

If you really want to, soak them in ro/io water with 5% bleach, then rinse the heck out of them with more IO water. Then see if they kill anything in your tank, I guess...

prime311
06/06/2008, 12:30 PM
Probably not worth the risk.

FinsToTheLeft
06/07/2008, 10:25 PM
how would you know if toxins are being leeched into the tank? Any way to test for it?

Jay1982
06/07/2008, 10:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12690957#post12690957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LJA
My girlfriend bought two pretty cool looking shells for the tank, I really don't want to put them in but I'm going to anyway.

Just wondering if when they are processed they have any type of lacquer or sealant that will be harmful to the tank by leeching out.

So.. Safe or Unsafe that is the question.... [/B]

lol, gotta love the female persuation. Honestly, if she really wants them in, I would see if the shells have been polished first, soak the hell out of them, and let her know that if she wants them in, she'll have to wait a few days.

petoonia
06/07/2008, 11:57 PM
I would also boil them before adding them to the tank, just to be safe.

gatorsfan
06/08/2008, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't risk it.

bimmerzs
06/08/2008, 12:46 AM
Hi,

As mentioned...boil them then soak in a vinegar water solution fro a day or so then rinse well and let dry..... good to go. If you are really paranoid, after soaking in the vinegar solution and rinsing, put them in ro/di and soak for a few more day's then check for copper.. A lot of work for a few pretty shells, make sure you get her to sign a "if kill agreement".

:D

Cheers,

erichatesmice
06/08/2008, 02:16 AM
I used some from Michaels. $1.99/pack. Each pack had over a hundred shells. This was for my hermits. They were definitely saltwater shells, since there were quite a few trochus shells in there. I boiled them for an hour and dumped them in. This was last year and I didn't notice any problems.

rjsilvers
06/08/2008, 03:25 AM
You guys are really paranoid.

Boil them like bimmersz said, soak them in vinegar, rinse, place in tank.

parkpark
06/08/2008, 03:39 AM
ooh, good idea for the Michaels thing, I was debating whether to pay $2.50 for ONE shell from Petsmart for my single hermit crab

cbrguy
06/08/2008, 04:19 AM
I don't think they'll cause any problems. I bought shells in Mexico and threw them in my tank and I never had a problem...

bossdj
06/08/2008, 09:59 PM
i bought the michaels shells also just rinsed them with tap water, then shook them around in my old sw when i was doin a w/c and threw them in. no problems

LJA
06/09/2008, 06:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12702570#post12702570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bimmerzs
Hi,

As mentioned...boil them then soak in a vinegar water solution fro a day or so then rinse well and let dry..... good to go. If you are really paranoid, after soaking in the vinegar solution and rinsing, put them in ro/di and soak for a few more day's then check for copper.. A lot of work for a few pretty shells, make sure you get her to sign a "if kill agreement".

:D

Cheers,

lol, yeah i'll definatly need that signed and sent to my lawyer before throwing them in. But seriously, I have had them soaking in vinager for the past few days and before I put them in I'll boil them for about 30 minutes I guess. I have no idea if they are fresh or salt, I would guess they are a saltwater species because of the coloration. I'm not too worried about it and I think it will be fine after taking the necissary precautions.

Thanks for the insight.