PDA

View Full Version : Reefers/contractors??? need help!

hermitage
06/06/2008, 07:42 AM
My 210 is in my kitchen which is about to undergo some major remodeling.

The tank is only 4 months old...Yellow Tang, Firefish, Chromis, Frogspawn and Green Star Polyps.

We're taking down 2 walls, one of them is 1 foot from the right side of the tank. We're also removing old tile, and laying down a hardwood floor right next to the tank...about 300 sg ft worth. Going with Pine for the flooring, which will involve sanding, and finishing with Polyeurythane (sp?). Lot sof dust from the sanding.

I plan on covering the tank with some kind of tarp/sheet. I'm thinking simple bedding sheets? My Refugium is in a totally seperate room that's pretty far away from the construction.

Anybody else been through this before? What should I be most concerned about? Sawdust, Sheet rock dust, Polyeurythane fumes? Any ideas on safeguarding my tank would be great.

Thanks all!

nyvp
06/06/2008, 07:46 AM
easiest way to be safe is putting plastic around the tank and use a air duct to push air into the plastic. The positive pressure will keep everything out. I used this idea when doing a termite house tenting. I rented a blower and basically made a cocoon around my tank.

Dyraxe
06/06/2008, 07:50 AM
I would use a plastic tarp for the dust, and LOTS of carbon to be safe for the fumes. Chemi-pure and Bio chem Zorb brands are my favorite. They are resins and work really well.

kielty
06/06/2008, 08:36 AM
Be sure to turn off your skimmer as well when fumes are present
as your skimmer will inject the VOC's into the water column.
I've doing the same thing right now (flooring, sanding, finishing)
and just making sure the skimmer is shut down. All the ideas above as well.

Good luck

davocean
06/06/2008, 09:28 AM
I agree, turn off anything that could push fumes into water, cover w/ plastic when dust is present(careful of hot lights).
I personally would look at bamboo flooring if set on wood floor.
Much more durable near water, and eco friendly.

hermitage
06/06/2008, 09:38 AM
Good to know about the skimmer. Will use a plastic tarp. I was concerned about the plastic tarp reducing/halting gas exchange. Will have to remove it daily for feeding. Not running my MH now, just actinics. Probably just leave the lights off for the week.

Thanks all.

Flightpipe
06/06/2008, 09:51 AM
Nyvp & Daveocean +1 I would use a cloth tarp something along those lines to cover it is more form fitting than plastic.

BEWARE people knocking into the tank and base!

Dyraxe
06/06/2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah leave the lights off if it is going to be too hot for the tarp.

stuccodude
06/06/2008, 10:53 AM
i would go with plastic and a sheet from the washer but not dried to catch the dust particles, good luck with the project.