PDA

View Full Version : which filtration is gonna be better for a 29 gallon tank

split4161
06/06/2008, 09:11 AM
i have a 29 gallon tank and i just started it a week ago. i have a marineland penguin 150 biowheel hob. i was wondering if a sump filtration system would be better for a reef tank of this size. i dont wanna go out and spend the money for a sump system if the hob is gonna work the same way. any advice?

sassafrass
06/06/2008, 09:22 AM
The sump not only adds water volume it also will house a in sump skimmer, heater, and possible carbon media if you skimp on equipment at this stage you will either have to do more maintenance or live with nutrient problems . the best equipment you can afford is the way to go IMHO.
Best of luck, Lee

gatorsfan
06/06/2008, 09:53 AM
I would definetly go with the sump it really helps keep the smaller tanks water parameters more stable and provides a place to keep the heater and skimmer and other equipment.

Tswifty
06/06/2008, 10:12 AM
Check out Melev's 29g tank on his sight:

http://www.melevsreef.com/sump.html

You don't need to fabricate it everything like he does (show off :lol: ). You could make it out of an aquarium with glass baffles, and use a U-Tube overflow box.

"L"
06/06/2008, 09:01 PM
Yes the sump would be much better.

Joshua1023
06/06/2008, 10:09 PM
Not to mention that the sump will keep Most of your equipment from becoming an eyesore, since it will be out of sight. Definately the way to go. You could easily build one for very little cash. Do some research on the DIY forum and you'll be golden.

Am4nn
06/07/2008, 02:11 AM
Making a sump is not very hard, especially one the size a 29G would require. A 10 gallon glass aquarium is about $10 then add twenty more tops for the rest of the materials assuming a DIY angle. Then the only other expense is the return pump. Plus as others said you get the added volume and the ability to hide some equipment.

OceanDweller
06/07/2008, 10:12 PM
Another cool feature about the sump is that the water level evaporates from there, allowing you to top off with freshwater from the sump below the tank. I have a fully automated top off with some nearly failsafe float switches backed up on my 120. Much better than always having to wonder what salinity your tanks at.