PDA

View Full Version : multiple angels in a 180

Monkeyfish
06/06/2008, 09:54 AM
I've just about finished setting up my 180 FOWLR and will be transferring over the fish from my 75. I currently have an Imperator (Pomacanthus imperator)), but would also like to purchase either an Asfur (Pomacanthus asfur) or a Blueface (Euxiphipops xanthometopon). Would either be compatible with the Imperator? I'd either introduce the 2 simultaneously or Blue/Asfur and then the Imp. Let me know what you think.

reeferaddiction
06/06/2008, 12:29 PM
how big is the emp?

Monkeyfish
06/06/2008, 01:30 PM
The Imperator is about 7 inches long.

JazzZero
06/06/2008, 01:48 PM
7 INCHES!!! Seriously thats good you upgraded... Anyways to your question you'll have better luck with an asfur angelfish because imperator and blue-face are of the same genuses.

reeferaddiction
06/06/2008, 02:13 PM
i dont think it would be a good idea to add anymore angels due to the size of your emporer. if you put in another angel the safest way to do that would be to get one that is larger, but with that being said a 180 will be too tight for several large angels. if you were adding juvies i would say go for it. a 180 seems like a large tank but not with 7" + fish. i think it would be asking for aggression issue.

agreeive?fish
06/06/2008, 02:17 PM
If you do it i would put the new angel in the 180 a week or two before you transfer the imp..i am by no means any sort of angel expert in fact by my own accord iam a fish dumby(and probably always will be)

Monkeyfish
06/06/2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was fairly certain that my plans would be foiled, but was hoping that someone would have had a success in a similar situation.

Maybe a flame angel, potters or a regal. I guess the blueface will have to wait for the next tank. ;)

reeferaddiction
06/06/2008, 03:51 PM
those would deff be a better choice! i love the regal. also if you are going to add a dwarf look at the venustus they are gorgeous.

Monkeyfish
06/06/2008, 04:25 PM
What I'd really like is an interruptus, but it's just a bit out of the wife approval range :p

reeferaddiction
06/06/2008, 04:35 PM
lol well get rid of her then! jk you got to get on the everything costs 50.00 plan.

Monkeyfish
06/06/2008, 05:44 PM
She ain't that stupid!

agreeive?fish
06/06/2008, 05:50 PM
My wife dont buy the everything cost 50.00 plan either..she has been with me to many times at fish stores and has seen me spend many many hours online looking at fish..she know what they cost as well as i do

kirkaz
06/07/2008, 07:36 AM
I certainly think you could add another Angel, I would just avoid the same family. I know CCampbell added a 4 inch Queen to his 180 with a 9 inch Emperor.

ccampbell57
06/07/2008, 10:12 PM
Kirk is correct. She was 4.5" when I put her in 6 months ago. She is now almost 7" and is growing everyday.

Pretty amazing how she, the blueface, and the emperor interact.

The Emperor rules the roost. The queen just ignores him and the blueface just chills in his cave.

flameangel88
06/09/2008, 08:59 AM
Monkeyfish:
Your 7" Emp is definitely going to rule the tank but I think you will be fine if you acclimate the BF for 2 weeks before adding the Emp. I don't see any problem in adding dwarf or centropyge angels as long as you've plenty of rocks for the little ones to dot in-and-out for cover.

heuerfan
06/09/2008, 09:08 AM
I don't think you would have a problem adding a smaller asfur. I had a 5" emperor and added a 3" asfur. The emperor chased the asfur around for about 2 weeks, nothing really aggressive, just basically showing who is boss.

From my experience and what i've read, the asfur is one tough fish and much more territorial than the emp.

If you do end up getting an asfur, make sure he is the last fish, good luck!

my 2 cents......

agreeive?fish
06/09/2008, 11:43 AM
I know my `5-6 inch asfur was the last fish in my 210g and he rules the tank..even rules the ~ 8-9 inch lunnar wrasse and an `8-9 inch sailfin tang and a ~5 inch powderblue tang and a ~4 inch female maroon clownfish

kimha
06/10/2008, 12:53 AM
You will be fine adding a Asfur (king) angel with the emperor. Make sure the emperor is the boss (bigger than Asfur). Asfur is very fast and can easily escape from the emperor.

I love angel fish and have quite a bit of experience with them. I have an Emperor, a King, a Queen, a Regal, and a Majestic angels in my 300g right now.

Monkeyfish
06/10/2008, 08:28 AM
Hmmm... it's seems that there are a variety of experiences with this combination. I guess I'll just have to roll the dice and see what happens. Whichever angel I purchase I'll add it prior to or at the same time as the Imperator. Thanks guys.

kimha
06/10/2008, 09:06 AM
You don't have to "roll the dice and see what happens". Introduce them together when they are young and in the right sequence, they will develop pecking order and learn to live together. If you introduce them when they're already in adult stage, the stronger one will most likely kill the weaker one.

In general, it works out best when your newly added angel fish is bigger than existing angel fishes. It is also important to have the slowest angel fish be the most dominant one. Imperator are generally slower than other angels. And they normally launch at other angels to show who is the boss, then turn away to do other things. So I would add Imperator as the first angel. Asfur angel is just the opposite. They normally would hunt down the weaker ones and try to kill them. Asfur is very fast, so he should be the last one.

kirkaz
06/10/2008, 09:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12715537#post12715537 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kimha
You will be fine adding a Asfur (king) angel with the emperor. Make sure the emperor is the boss (bigger than Asfur). Asfur is very fast and can easily escape from the emperor.

I love angel fish and have quite a bit of experience with them. I have an Emperor, a King, a Queen, a Regal, and a Majestic angels in my 300g right now.

Asfur is not the same as King Angel, they are very different fish, King/Passer (Holacanthus passer ) is considered possibly the most aggressive angel there is and is very hardy for an angel. The Asfur (Pomacanthus asfur) is a less aggressive (in most cases), and less hardy fish.

Monkeyfish
06/10/2008, 09:22 AM
Well, the Imperator is all ready an adult about 6-7 inches long and with full adult coloration so introducing juveniles is out of the question. I really like the blue face, but don't think it would work out. Currently leaning towards a regal for the other angel.

kimha
06/10/2008, 09:27 AM
thanks Kirkaz. Please replace Asfur with Passer(King) in my posts. I got mixed up between Asfur and Passer. I was referring to the King (Passer) angel in my posts.

kirkaz
06/10/2008, 09:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12716872#post12716872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kimha
thanks Kirkaz. Please replace Asfur with Passer(King) in my posts. I got mixed up between Asfur and Passer. I was referring to the King (Passer) angel in my posts.

Would love to see pics of your tank BTW, sounds fantastic.

kimha
06/10/2008, 09:45 AM
Sure. I will be home on Friday and will post some pics this weekend. I will post my 6" Moorish Idol and 4" Clown Tang as well.

agreeive?fish
06/10/2008, 10:34 AM
I love angels as well and as soon as i win a $100 millon plus cash pay out lottery (after taxes) iam gonna have a tank( small ocean in my mansion) with every angel and every tang i can get my hands on