PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker Anemone

Featherdusters
06/06/2008, 07:00 PM
I think its anemone. It came on my 50+ blue zoa rock and since its on the underside of the rock I didn't notice it until later.

Its only about 1.3" large when closed. I haven't seen it fully extend yet, but I have only had it for a night.

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/7646/iddm7.jpg

Any ideas what type of anemone it is and what I should do with it? I don't want it dying on me so I was thinking about removing it. But I have no idea how move the little thing without hurting it and I don't want to kill it.

Its also in a very bad spot. It can't receive light unless I place my zoa rock on its side (which blocks my view of the zoas). The only good news is that I did a smell test and its not decaying (no smell). Its bleached, but I would expect that since it was under the rock the whole time at my LFS.

Titus77
06/06/2008, 08:06 PM
Looks like one of these (http://www.underwater-photos.com/anemone3.jpg). It is a Corynactis Anemone.

dalilgriffith
06/06/2008, 09:48 PM
looks like a rock anemone.

reefman13
06/06/2008, 10:44 PM
Its not a glass anemone...and I don't think it is a rock anem.

It almost looks like the oral disk of a mushroom coral, but the foot or base (which ever you prefer) does not look like a polyp base...

dalilgriffith
06/06/2008, 10:48 PM
Well, i think it is an anemone due to the formation and structure of the mouth.

seafansar
06/06/2008, 11:10 PM
Neat little thing. Maybe hold it out of the water and see if it lets go. If not try peeling it off with your fingers. Otherwise just leave it be and hope it has enough sense to move on it's own!

Titus77
06/06/2008, 11:22 PM
I still think that it is a Corynactis Anemone.

Cheebs
06/07/2008, 01:36 AM
I don't think it looks anything liek the Corynactis. It does have little knobs on the tentacles it seems, but the color seems way off, and the tentacles seem more opaque than transluscent. Anyways if we can gt a pic of it extended that might tell us.

Featherdusters
06/07/2008, 03:45 AM
I really appreciate everyone taking the time to look and guess. It looks like this one doesn't fall into a common anemone or coral catagory.

I promise that I will post a better picture tomorrow. I am hoping it will settle in and expand more.

Any tips on trying to get it fully extend for a better picture? I am almost certain that the tips were much longer when I first placed it in, but I didn't really get a chance to see it long because it closed up.

Neat little thing. Maybe hold it out of the water and see if it lets go. If not try peeling it off with your fingers. Otherwise just leave it be and hope it has enough sense to move on it's own!

Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully it moves on its own during the next couple of days. Knowing my luck I would poke it wrong and damage it.

Its not a glass anemone...and I don't think it is a rock anem.

It almost looks like the oral disk of a mushroom coral, but the foot or base (which ever you prefer) does not look like a polyp base...

I agree, the base doesn't seem polyp like. Thats why I considered it more of a foot and anemone-like.

Featherdusters
06/07/2008, 04:03 AM
I have to mention that the bands remind me of this anemone:
http://actiniaria.com/urticina_felina.php

But I believe those are cold water species.

dc
06/07/2008, 08:02 AM
Hopefully it will do well in your tank, and it's an ok thing. Kind of cool looking.