PDA

View Full Version : Can't get PH up- HELP!

musky1963
06/07/2008, 05:17 AM
My ph was 7.7 this am and it is never really close to what I would like, 8.3. I have a 180g with a 55g sump/fuge. I have 2 #3 Koralias and 2 Maxi 1200's and stirring up the surface pretty good. My RF ph monitor was recently calibrated. I am starting to wonder if my EuroReef RS80 is the culprit? I have an intake line running outside. Maybe not drawing enough fresh air? I just did a 35g water change and it is still low. Livestock is mostly softies with about 8 sps frags, large Squamosa clam, many inverts, 4 tangs, 3 clowns, small copperband and several smaller fish. I probably overfeed with flake, but the tangs are very healthy and consume food rather quickly. I have alot of established LR in both the DT and sump. Also running a pair of TLF reactors with carbon and GFO. I cannot keep doors and windows open very often as it is usually too cold and lately it has been in the 90's, so the air is now on. Oh, I am using Red Sea Coral Pro salt and wasn't sure if that could be a cause. My CA is around 425-450. I tried adding some 8.3 buffer, but it was only a temporary band-aid and made my alk shoot up. Is there anything I can possibly do or add without buffing? When all of my T-5's are running, it might peak out to 8.1. Any ideas?:confused:

jansenwrasse
06/07/2008, 06:06 AM
It sounds like you are doing things correctly, I would double check the calibration of the meter. From there It would be low O2 levels. Take a cup of water out and put an air stone in it and soo if that raises the pH.

Good Luck!

musky1963
06/07/2008, 06:43 AM
I will try that. I also use a 5500K spiral-type light in my fuge with chaeto 24/7.

OceansWonders
06/07/2008, 07:21 AM
have you tired using kalk in all of your top off water? kalkawasser has a PH of about 12 so dripping it slowly as your top off water will help to keep the pH up. I use a PH controller and use it to keep my PH above 8.

Playa-1
06/07/2008, 06:41 PM
Have you tested the Magnesium?

I think the rs80 could be a problem. Your using a skimmer rated for an 80 gallon system on a 235 gallons system? Obviously it's undersized for your system. It sounds to me like your dealing with gas exchange issues. I think the air inlet outside is a good idea. I'm sure Kalk would also increase the ph but it also increases ALK.
The first thing you should do Is check the rest of your water parameters. The ALK, Calcium, Magnesium, O2, and PH are all related. Regular water changes help to replace trace elements and to keep the ionic balance in order.
This article may help you out.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

musky1963
06/07/2008, 07:33 PM
A friend of mine has a mostly sps tank, which has amazing growth. He has a bigger EuroReef skimmer and sometimes turns it of for 2 weeks at a time. He states that it strips alot of nutrients and suppliments that corals need and the corals lose alot of color as well. That is pretty much why I haven't went with a bigger skimmer. I will try and locate my Mg test kit. The alk was around 8 or 9 last time I checked with the salifert kit.

OceansWonders
06/07/2008, 07:59 PM
Kalk increases calcium and PH not alk

Bonebrake
06/07/2008, 09:53 PM
Kalkwasser raises pH, calcium, and alkalinity.

Start using limewater (kalkwasser).

Check out the archives for articles on lime:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605

:)

bertoni
06/08/2008, 12:47 AM
Limewater might be a good approach. I'd also try the aeration test.