PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about a Coralife Venturi Super Skimmer (220 Gallons)

newty
06/07/2008, 12:06 PM
I can get a new Coralife Venturi Super Skimmer (220 Gallons) for 100 dollars. I plan on using a skimmer of some sort for my 75 gallon. The skimmer would do into a sump that is currently being built at the momemnt.

I know that there are lots of threads that talk about modding Coralife skimmers, and I am not afraid to mod this skimmer. Do you think that 100 dollars is a good deal for this skimmer?

Shawn

newty
06/07/2008, 12:13 PM
Oh yeah, it does not come with a pump. I have a Mag9.5 lying around that can be used for this purpose. However, the website recommends 650-750GPH flow for this skimmer...

And if anyone has this skimmer, how tall is it? I have 22 inches of heght clearance in my stand. I probably could get one or 2 more inches out of that, though.

Shawn

Timbor
06/07/2008, 12:21 PM
I probably wouldn't recommend it for a high-end sps tank, but I imagine it could suit your purpose.

I currently have a CSS65 on my 35gal setup. It does the job, although it overflows every so often. I have to pump air into the venturi via an air pump to ensure the foam level stays constant. My tank has a fairly light bioload - 2 fish, a bunch of soft corals, lps, and a monti cap.

If you want a high performance skimmer, save your money so you can make the right purchase once. If you just want something to get the job done, it will probably work for you. Being a student, I can appreciate the difference between spending $100 and 4 or $500.

Tim

AlbaTiVo
06/07/2008, 12:58 PM
For $100 it is a good skimmer with a couple of mods.

hammmerhead
06/07/2008, 02:08 PM
That skimmer isnt worth 50 bucks with out the pump. It needs a needle wheel pump anyway unless you have retro fitted your MAG. Save your 100, sell you mag and buy a MSX 160. Best skimmer out there for the money right now.

Patrick12
06/07/2008, 02:17 PM
That is definitely NOT a good deal with no NW pump. By the time you spend the money on the NW pump you will need, you will be near the cost of a good skimmer. The corallife skimmers do produce, but they are so finicky with the water level and just are not anything better than average. Not that average will not suit you at this time...just want to make sure you know that you are not getting a great deal on this thing. The Mag 9 you have will not sork on this skimmer. You need to get a pump that is properly rated and fitted with a needlewheel impeller. If the seller is telling you that any pump will do, that is more reason not to purchase.

Cheers

Warmart
06/07/2008, 02:19 PM
The 220 is about 26" tall, maybe a hair more.

Like Hammer said, you need a needlewheel pump, the MAG wouldn't work.

If you could get it to fit, it would be ok for a 75.

synofreak
06/07/2008, 03:29 PM
Not worth $100 without pump. Got mine for $80 and a CSS 125 for $70 both complete. Both used but in good condition. If you have a sump, look elsewhere for a skimmer. I ran the 125 on my 120g, now the 120g has the 220, and my 55g has the 125. Both work real good, are a little finacky with water levels(about an inch of play). I run both my tanks self contained, so I need an HOB skimmer. No mods, but my skimmate is dark and thick. Best $150 I spent for my SW tanks. While it is plug and play, there is definatly a learning curve for this skimmer. BTW my 220 is 25.25 inches tall. The 125 is much shorter(can measure if you like). Being as you have a sump, I would look into others. You definatly need a needle wheel pump for CSS skimmers. Hope this helps.

newty
06/07/2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. After reading all of your replies, I will not be purchasing this skimmer. I never thought about selling the Mag9 to raise money for a skimmer. Thanks for bringing that up!

I am now leaning towards Aqua C EV-120 Protein Skimmer with a Mag5. I know 2 people who have this and they are happy with it at the moment. I just have to scrounge around and find a good deal on it.

Shawn