PDA

View Full Version : anemones are difficult am I right?

whatcaneyedo
06/07/2008, 12:09 PM
Would anyone argue with me if I said that all anemones should be rated as difficult and not recommended for beginners? I'm suffering quite a backlash from fellow hobbiests in my area who are upset over some posts I made on our local forum stating just that. Here it is not uncommon at all for new people into this hobby to add an anemone to their first tank, less than a year old, with PC or regular florescent lighting. When asked most of them think this is fine.

I'll admit that this is exactally what I did when I started 4 years ago and I was told on this site and by the experianced people in town that I was making a mistake.

jkrentz2515
06/07/2008, 12:18 PM
It is recommended that your tank is up and running for about 6 months so that your tank is established enough to keep an anemone. And yes they require lots of lighting to thrive as well as great water parameters.

billie6227
06/07/2008, 06:57 PM
I've also read that the tank should have housed fish for at least 6 weeks before placing any corals or anemones.

Reef Ruler
06/07/2008, 07:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12700901#post12700901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billie6227
I've also read that the tank should have housed fish for at least 6 weeks before placing any corals or anemones.

Im not sure if that is so true, because I know that alot of experienced people add corals weeks, if not months before fish

elegance coral
06/07/2008, 07:50 PM
You were 110% correct in what you said, as long as you said it politely. These are not animals for the beginner. I dumped about 5 Condy's in my first tank and killed them all. You not only need time for the tank to mature, but time is needed for the hobbyist to learn as well.

BristlewormKing
06/07/2008, 08:41 PM
I have eight RBTAs under PC lighting....but the tank was a year old with clowns before the first one was put in

Slakker
06/07/2008, 09:57 PM
Some anemones do just fine under PC. Everything else was spot on.

whatcaneyedo
06/07/2008, 10:03 PM
But its not just the lighting. A person is really putting their tank at risk for a few problems by adding an anemone. Some are notorious fish eaters, big ones can nuke a tank if they wander into a pump intake, and a wandering anemone will kill almost everything in its path. Plus most dont ship very well and are either bleached or dead upon arrival. These were the points I was talking about that make anemones difficult and not for beginners or the uninformed.

Slakker
06/07/2008, 10:13 PM
No argument from me...IMO many people just shouldn't be allowed to buy anemones. They go into stores uninformed, and equally uninformed staff sends a creature off to its doom.

davocean
06/09/2008, 02:57 PM
If you are properly set up for nems, I don't think they are that difficult IME.
I don't do anything that special for them other than give a silverside every week or two.
But I did do alot in preperation for them.
My tank is plumbed specifically w/ my nems in mind, flow/intakes.
I do feel lucky I chose nems that don't wander.
I do agree tank should be established, and nems aren't for the total noob, and I think they should be in tanks large enough to keep far from intakes and other corals.

Der_Iron_Chef
06/09/2008, 03:17 PM
I agree with you for the most part....but it's always good to remember that there was a time when keeping Xenia alive was a major victory :D

That said, we also have a serious responsibility to provide the best care for these animals that have been taken from their natural habitats. Anything else is irresponsible at best.

Kristi04
06/09/2008, 03:20 PM
I agree the tank should be established. But IMO and from my experience nems are not difficult. I think it comes down to responsible maintanence and education.

klavestat
06/10/2008, 12:24 AM
It seems to me the question about "are anemones difficult" applies to many of the critters we attempt to propagate in captivity (corals,
anemone, nudibranchs, etc). In my experience you can get most (not
all) to thrive in an aquarium if you're a) willing to do the research to
learn what it needs, b) invest the time to provide it, and c) be patient and let them do their own thing.

dragonette
06/10/2008, 06:35 PM
I bought a LTA and clown pair like a month after setting up my tank...

I knew it was not a good idea but the LFS owner was real cool about it like "yeah, no problem"

Well, I had him for about 6 months and he turned more brown under my Pcs than he was when I bought him! one day he started to look 'stringy' instead of his normal puffy tentacles. After about a week, I was concerned for his health so I brought the nem and his clowns to the LFS for them to care for him/resell him to someone else.

I think he actually 'gained' health while in my care, but I was still worried when his appearance changed. The LFs owner said he looked great and I was just over reacting but with all the horror stories... I wasnt going to push the envelope.

Im 15-16months in now and just got a RBTA. I feel like I dont know anything about nems now that I have one (like a new baby or something..) and my tank is setup good for him, but Im still worried!

I agree that Nems are difficult and should be only bought when the tank is mature and the owner is competent enough to recognize the changes is health and care this animal needs.

I dont think you were wrong for stating that these are fragile creatures. The people that flamed you are jerks. JMO

Jess