PDA

View Full Version : MCcosker wrasse

lilchris
06/07/2008, 03:25 PM
I just received a MCcosker wrasse from Marine Depot. I acclimated him for about 2 hrs and he is now in QT. I would like to know if it is normal for him to lay on his side? It has white blimishes running along side of its body. I know they are going to be stressed, I just want to know if it going to be alright. Also I would like to know what I should look for if its sick. Also, how can you tell if the wrasse is a male or female? Thanks

crt81
06/07/2008, 04:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12699969#post12699969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lilchris
I just received a MCcosker wrasse from Marine Depot. I acclimated him for about 2 hrs and he is now in QT. I would like to know if it is normal for him to lay on his side? It has white blimishes running along side of its body. I know they are going to be stressed, I just want to know if it going to be alright. Also I would like to know what I should look for if its sick. Also, how can you tell if the wrasse is a male or female? Thanks

I've had mine for a few months now and when i had gotten mine from liveaquaria mine looked the same way. Blotchy skin color, laying on it's side. No worries, after just a few hours it was hiding and within like 2 days the color was normal and he is swimming around. I love mine!!!!! He's out all the time and has so much personality. Gets along with all my fish too!!!!! This buy you made was a good one.

Yeah just give him a day or two and it will be as good as new. I felt the same way you are feeling. I was stressed out and worried he wouldn't make it, but he did!

Good Luck with yours! Enjoy!

If it's possible, can you post a picture of yours?

Here's mine:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/crt81/IMG_0933.jpg

And with the flash:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/crt81/IMG_0935.jpg

And mine is a male!!!

buzzbombtom
06/07/2008, 04:58 PM
yes the blotchy is due to stress, will color up normal soon enough. he is on his side because he is stressed out. do you have anywhere for him to hide in qt? best advise for this fish keep the tank DARK and leave him alone. give him places to hide. most people dont understand how wrasses need to be left alone. the qt is the most important time for wrasses, the first few days decides if it will live or die. provide good food, when i introduce new wrasses to the system i provide brine too. this reduces stress on the fish in system and the newbie. but i cant stress enough DONT pester him he will be fine as long as he gets his sleep :)

btw crt did yours come in in that color or has he color morphed to that color? i have always wanted one in that color.

lilchris
06/07/2008, 06:05 PM
I put a container of LS in the QT and also there are a few pieces of PVC piping. He is currently on his side behind the container of LS. I have a towel over the tank so it is dark. WHen should I try to feed him.

Also, how can I tell if it is a female or male?
CRT81 I will post pictures later

yellowslayer13
06/07/2008, 06:21 PM
the one posted is a male so compare the dorsal fin and the coloration

lilchris
06/07/2008, 06:33 PM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/lilchris357/MCcosker2.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/lilchris357/MCcosker1.jpg

This is the best I can do right now. When he acclimates a little better I will try to get a better picture.

snorvich
06/07/2008, 07:32 PM
Looks normal to me. They do not need much time before being fed. I normally feed my new arrivals with 4 hours of arrival and acclimation. Keep things relatively dark (not DARK, just not light) as they are sensitive to light in the beginning. Mysis is a good thing to start feeding.

OceanDweller
06/07/2008, 10:47 PM
They will often sleep on there side in a BB tank

crt81
06/07/2008, 11:36 PM
yeah that's how mine looked when it as in my tank at first

crt81
06/07/2008, 11:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12700381#post12700381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by buzzbombtom

btw crt did yours come in in that color or has he color morphed to that color? i have always wanted one in that color.

no mine came in this color! I loved the color when i chose him.... looks so much brighter in person!!!!!

crt81
06/08/2008, 12:03 AM
Oh and i forgot to mention... when mine sleeps it gets that blotchy color again but once he wakes up, his color is back to normal! So no worries there!

And I don't know about yours but mine sleeps in/ on the rocks and not on the sand bed like other wrasses do. I've heard from a few other people that theirs does the same thing... sleeps in the rocks!

Well I hope all this info helps you out!!!!

buzzbombtom
06/08/2008, 12:26 AM
yeah all of my wrasses blotch up at night and color up when lights go on

lilchris
06/08/2008, 09:12 PM
I turned the lights on today. He finally came out when I dropped a couple pieces of Mysis in the tank. I hope in makes it. How often do you guys feed when you have a fish in QT? I want to fatten him up and get him swimming before he goes into the Display tank. I think I should be calling it a her.

Chibils
06/08/2008, 09:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12702465#post12702465 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crt81
Oh and i forgot to mention... when mine sleeps it gets that blotchy color again but once he wakes up, his color is back to normal! So no worries there!

And I don't know about yours but mine sleeps in/ on the rocks and not on the sand bed like other wrasses do. I've heard from a few other people that theirs does the same thing... sleeps in the rocks!

Well I hope all this info helps you out!!!! iirc, only coris wrasses (Coris sp. and some Halyochaeres sp. - I know I spelled that wrong) sleep in the sand.

buzzbombtom
06/08/2008, 10:00 PM
i feed 2 to 3 times a day in my main system. in qt i would say minium 4 times a day, what kinda filtration do you have on your system?

yellowslayer13
06/08/2008, 10:45 PM
ditto on feeding

crt81
06/08/2008, 11:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12707621#post12707621 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chibils
iirc, only coris wrasses (Coris sp. and some Halyochaeres sp. - I know I spelled that wrong) sleep in the sand.

Sorry!

But i've heard from a few people that a few different wrasses sleep in the sand, but what ever!

Chibils
06/09/2008, 09:21 AM
There could be more wrasses that do, but fairy wrasses build a mucus cocoon around themselves when they sleep (in a lr wedge or on the sand). Not sure about flasher wrasses (like McCosker's).

lilchris
06/09/2008, 07:17 PM
Right now she sleeps on top of the sand inside of the container. I have to say that when you get a wrasse, do the QT and leave the lights off for 24 hrs. It works. She is swimming around and eating like a champ. I will post more pictures tommorrow.

LukFox
06/09/2008, 09:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12709695#post12709695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chibils
There could be more wrasses that do, but fairy wrasses build a mucus cocoon around themselves when they sleep (in a lr wedge or on the sand). Not sure about flasher wrasses (like McCosker's).

Flashers do the same as fairies.

buzzbombtom
06/09/2008, 10:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12713526#post12713526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lilchris
Right now she sleeps on top of the sand inside of the container. I have to say that when you get a wrasse, do the QT and leave the lights off for 24 hrs. It works. She is swimming around and eating like a champ. I will post more pictures tommorrow.

one thing that most people cant seem to understand, most of the time in my experience things stress out when they see a HUGE face looking at them. as long as you give them time alone they will eventually overcome their pouting stage and swim like a champ. glad to hear that the advise helped you out. now in a few days/weeks we need some pics.

lilchris
06/10/2008, 11:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12714873#post12714873 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by buzzbombtom
one thing that most people cant seem to understand, most of the time in my experience things stress out when they see a HUGE face looking at them. as long as you give them time alone they will eventually overcome their pouting stage and swim like a champ. glad to hear that the advise helped you out. now in a few days/weeks we need some pics.

I will post some here in a couple days.

lilchris
06/15/2008, 11:12 AM
My flasher is in my DT as of today. He was doing so good in QT I went ahead and moved it. I am going away for a few weeks. I wanted to get him in the tank so I monitor him.
I am glad I did because my Xmas wrasse is showing some aggression towards him. He is chasing the flasher. Should I rearrange the rocks? If it doesn't cease I am going to take the flasher out. THis sucks. Please I am in need of some advice.