PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Weird Problem

ccloveraz
06/07/2008, 04:26 PM
All of my hard corals have begun to die off and my softies arent looking too great...

Everything checks out fine

No ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH is good, salinity is fine.
Temp is 78f

Any ideas?

stuccodude
06/07/2008, 05:33 PM
bummer, check for copper and stray voltage, good luck

bsagecko
06/07/2008, 06:59 PM
alk and cal?

are your fish ok?

I would do a 20% water change ASAP with ro/di and new salt....also i would look for disease or things eating them.........

if all this doesnt work then it is probably stray voltage or copper.....

ccloveraz
06/07/2008, 08:02 PM
how would I get copper in my system?

Also I have no current over .3 volts in the water

The fish I have had for awhile are fine, but the last two added died within a few days...both from different suppliers(this was about a month ago)

Playa-1
06/07/2008, 08:47 PM
Post your water parameters for everything that you test for.
That will help people to give you some useful feedback.

ccloveraz
06/07/2008, 11:59 PM
All I test for is Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, PH, Salinity, and Temp.

Everything is great as far as numbers. I have been with this hobby for some time now and have never had anything like this happen

ACBlinky
06/08/2008, 06:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12702449#post12702449 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ccloveraz
All I test for is Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, PH, Salinity, and Temp.

Everything is great as far as numbers. I have been with this hobby for some time now and have never had anything like this happen If you're keeping hard corals and not testing Ca, alk and Mg, that may be the source of the problem. Anything calcareous (coral skeletons, snail shells, coralline) that grows in your tank will deplete these at a rate faster than they can be replenished via water change.

I'd recommend getting at least calcium and alkalinity test kits, preferably magnesium too. A water change followed by additions of anything that's low may be all that's needed to perk the tank up again.

tkeracer619
06/08/2008, 09:47 AM
Should be running a phosphate reactor. Don't need to test phosphates really unless you want another test kit.

Ca, Alk, and Mag should all be tested. The others are pointless if you maintain your reef properly. Ammonia and nitrate should not be present in a established tank. nitrates are usually present in a small amount but its great if they dont.

I am willing to bet your calcium is lower than desirable and thus your corals are dying.

gatorsfan
06/08/2008, 01:29 PM
Could be copper or voltage.