PDA

View Full Version : Majano munchers....Reef safe?

ReefAA
06/07/2008, 10:55 PM
I may be spinning my wheels here, but Ive done tons of research and Im only coming up with 1 safe majano anemone remover. Spurilla Neapolitana (a nudibranch) which unfortunately is rarely sold. I have read of a few fish (Angels and Butterflyfish) but they are not reef safe and Im struggling to put one in my tank because of the amoutn of LPS and SPS I have.

Bottom line; I have a small outbreak of Majano that increased in size due to a higher than usual nutrient level in my tank over a 2 week period (long story.) Removing the rocks into another tank is out of the question and would be a last resort I suppose. I also will not use Lemon juice, Joe's juice or Kalk paste as a means of removal. Short of trying to get the correct Nudi which may take a long time, has anyone EVER had luck with Raccon butterflyfish or Emperator Angel (or other suitable Majano removers like these) as juveniles and succeedded in having them in a reef tank without decimating your reef?

If no reef safe critters are available, I may just try my luck with a juvenile butterflyfish and see what happens. Any info you good folks can spare my way here would be appreciated. Thanks!

urbanthreatz
06/08/2008, 09:26 AM
I use lemon juice over everything, i like it better than joes juice, boiling water and ESPECIALLY something that might or might not eat my polyps. Turn off your powerheads, just get a small syringe with a little lemon juice right before you do your next big water change (lemon juice tends to throw off your cal/alk levels...thus the water change) and just inject it right into the stalk. This will prevent the anenome from being able to retract any further down than the needle is. You don't need a lit, maybe equal to a drop or two. Good luck.

finsurgeon
06/08/2008, 08:13 PM
My Imperator angel never ate any of my many majanos. Nor have my copperbanded butterfly or heniochus trio. Joe's juice is safe and works, though I've seen it take two applications on majanos, while one works on aipatsia.

ReefAA
06/08/2008, 08:43 PM
Thank you both for your replies. Interestingly enough, another thread was tossed my way here on RC that was very comprehensive. Here ya go....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1202166&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Thanks again! :)