PDA

View Full Version : DIY overflow Help

rogergolf66
06/08/2008, 09:10 AM
I currently have a 125 SPS tank. I didn't by a RR tank because I didn't want to lose the space in the tank. I have been using external overflow now for a year.

Well I want to increase my flow in my display - Tunr over for macanical filtration.

I was thinking about a mini cali overflow using the black box from the external over flow.

I was thinking drain the water level down to level needed, and use the powerheads to circulate water as I would if I lost power.

silicone the black overflow box to the tank wall. Then drill the tank right into the overflow box. put 3 1inch over flows in the back and use an elbow and make them Dursostand pipes.

What do you think?

Will this work?

Do you see any problems with this idea?

Thanks Roger

Pbrown3701
06/08/2008, 11:10 AM
Rather than running more flow through your sump which will be noisy, have you thought about running a closed loop with a particulate filter? I did this on a previous tank that was heavily stocked. I used an "over the back" intake and return for the closed loop and then put a Nu-Clear canister filter in line.

This was a fish only tank, so i was not too concerned about nitrates. However, if you rinse and change the filter regularly, you can minimize this problem.

This might be an easier solution for you.

Pbrown3701
06/08/2008, 11:12 AM
btw - what you suggest will also work. I'm just not sure if you will be happy long term with running high flow through your sump. i've been there and done that. You get noise, microbubbles from turbulance in the sump, and worse skimmer efficiency.

Duane867
06/08/2008, 12:20 PM
Hi Roger,
It would definitely work. How well it would work based on your design is another story. Things like this are best described along with a photo or a schematic.
In theory the way you are describing it it definitely sounds like it would work just fine, BUT there are more variables in the works then just drilling. Is your current sump able to handle the extra volume and higher flow ?

rogergolf66
06/08/2008, 02:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12704559#post12704559 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Duane867
Hi Roger,
It would definitely work. How well it would work based on your design is another story. Things like this are best described along with a photo or a schematic.
In theory the way you are describing it it definitely sounds like it would work just fine, BUT there are more variables in the works then just drilling. Is your current sump able to handle the extra volume and higher flow ?

Well I don't have anything drawn up as of yet. just throwing the idea around. my current pump is turned down so much because my rated 1,200 GPH overflow box is handelling more like 800GPH and I don't want to add another one, so I thought about the above.

I am still looking at only having about 1,200 gallons per hour to flow throught the sump. As far as space in the sump got plenty of room. I have a 55 gallon sump and the sump section is only filled about 1/3 of the way so If needed I can add to it. I think I will be ok with skimmer efficiency. The skimmer is external with a external pump pushing 1,050 gph to it and it is very over sized for my system. it the the PM bullet4 rated for 400 Gallons and I am only running 150 gallons of total water.

Well the design would be very simple. I was hopping to have the water level in the overflow box pretty close to the level of the bulkheads so that i get very little splashing noise. The tank also has its own room so the noise as far a water moving I can't hear much. I can hear splashing noise so I am hopping to keep that down a bit.

I will try and draw somthing up and scan it in.

Roger