PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Salt question

ellisz
06/08/2008, 09:10 PM
Hi all,

I use a 44 Gal Brute trash can to make my fresh SW. I get the SW to the right SG and temp and it normally sits for 5-7 days. I airate with air stone but I have used a mag 2 before as well.

My issue is that there is a brown film on the can after I remove the water. Most of it develops on the top lip of the can which is right below the water level where I fill the can too but there is more lower in the can.

I have had this happen on my last 2 buckets and previously in some other buckets. I used Oceanic a few years ago and switched to Red Sea Coral Pro for 2 buckets. I decided to switch back but now I am rethinking that :(

After the last water change, I scrubbed the can with bleach water and let it sit for a few weeks. I have cleaned with vinegar in the past as well. The water change tonight had the same results though.

Is this common for this salt? I recently changed all my RO/DI filters and the membrane was changed 6 months ago. TDS is always 0-2.

Is this the salt? Any ideas? My tank is doing great but I get some thick turf style algae growth on my rocks and overflows.

Thanks

Eklikewhoa
06/08/2008, 10:50 PM
Do you keep it near heat or sunlight?

Bambalam
06/09/2008, 12:14 AM
Why do you let it set for 5 to 7 days?

InsaneClownFish
06/09/2008, 12:26 AM
Interestingly enough I've used Oceanic for years and am going to be starting with Red Sea Coral Pro for my upcoming setup. The Red Sea Coral Pro seems to be alot closer to NSW while the Oceanic is pretty off.

From what I understand, the Oceanic and the brown film and algae problems seem to be an all too common complaint. Also, there have been reports of flat out bad batches.

I'm curious- why did you forsake the Red Sea Coral Pro so quickly?

Eklikewhoa
06/09/2008, 01:13 AM
I have been using Oceanic for over a year with zero problems...I mix in the 5g water jugs and let sit for up to 2wks with no problems.

ellisz
06/09/2008, 05:09 AM
I let it mix in my sump room in my basement. No windows and I have an AC vent and return in there to help with humidity.

I also have kids so I am never sure when I will actually do the water change :)

As for switching, there really was no good reason. I like the oceanic as it help with Ca and the Red sea was not as available. You also get a little more salt. I am mail ordering my salt now so the availability excuse is gone.

The Oceanic does dissolve better than the RS Pro. At the time, I remember reading that the RE Pro numbers were not as good as what was indicated on the bucket too. Might be mistaken though ...

Looks like I might be switching again :(

nattydread
06/09/2008, 06:16 AM
Its the salt.

I mix mine overnight in a brute and had the same. I switched to reef crystals and it clears up much much faster with little or no residue left behind.

InsaneClownFish
06/09/2008, 06:53 AM
Yea I think my second choice was going to be RC. I was actually wondering about mixing that with the Red Sea Coral Pro. Would save some money....can't hurt right?

Aerowen
06/09/2008, 07:18 AM
ive used oceanic for 8 months and i never have any film develop. I rinse out the trash can and scub it with a little vinegar every time.

ellisz
06/09/2008, 09:32 AM
That is the weird thing. When I had my 75 gal, my first bucket was awesome. Dissolved great and was always crystal clear. My second bucket was a different story with the brown film. When I set up the 180, I bought the brute cans(44 and a 33) and switched salts. The RS Pro did not dissolve as good so I switched back hoping the Oceanic was better. I have a local reefer that says he never has any issues with it. Got the film on the last both buckets I bought. They were ordered a few months apart too.

I have tried using both brutes and using an air stone as I thought maybe it was something on the mag pump. The pump and air stone have crud on them now too...

schigara
06/09/2008, 09:51 AM
Almost a year with Oceanic and no problems.

No need to pre buffer for anything.

@1.026 sg
Ca 440-460
Dkh 9.6.9.9
Mag ~1300

Also, I do daily 1.5g water changes so I always have my Brut can filled and mixed @ 1.026. It sits inside with just a modded 2100 Maxijet. Never seen any brown film.

sk8rreefgeek
06/09/2008, 10:15 AM
I've always used oceanic with no problems

tkeracer619
06/09/2008, 10:25 AM
When I used it I liked it.

OceanSpray
06/10/2008, 07:50 PM
I have been using Oceanic for 4 years now with
no problems at all. I have never seen any of the
brown stuff your describing. I mix mine up with an
air stone, and a power head for about an hour
while I clean other parts of the tank. Then I
pour it in. I have never tried letting it sit for days,
so I don't know what effect that might have on it.

For every salt mix ever made, or imagined, there will
be people out there who love it, hate it, or think
it is the cause of all the evil in their tank. I think it is
much more important to pick one and stick with it, for
stability's sake, than which one you use.

Then again, I've been married for 27 years, so I really
don't ever know when to quit on something!:D

ellisz
06/11/2008, 04:40 AM
I don't like changing salts but if you saw what this stuff looked like, you would not want to put it in your tank. I am pretty sure mine is clear after only an hour. I try to let it mix at least 24 hours.

I love the saly for how it tests for Ca, alk and Mg

Randy D
06/11/2008, 05:20 AM
I use a 50/50 mix of Oceanic and IO. I used to use only IO and have had the same brown film for years in my mix up barrel.

See the Chemistry forum and see RHF article on precipitate. He describes the brown film and says it is harmless and quite common.

OceanLyons
06/28/2008, 03:44 PM
I've had the brown film occur with TropicMarin Pro when I've left it in a bucket for a few days with a powerhead. Usually, I use the saltwater the day I make it.

c.rob
06/28/2008, 04:04 PM
We Have the same water so it can't be that. I have had the brown scum with IO but not Oceanic. Mabey you should give me some to test. I use the regular rubbermaid cans and do not see anything develop. I am using standard Red Sea at the moment and it is O.K. too. Do not remember if Randy has ever tested the scum to see what it is but that would be great if someone would. Mike try some mixed up in a clean tank then you could eliminate the cans as a source of reaction with the water.

rynon
06/28/2008, 05:06 PM
Had the same thing with Reef Crystals, still fighting the brown crap in my tank, switched to RS and no problems. BTW this was during the "bad batch" stage of the RC salt, ****ed me off.....also caused problems in all of my tanks.

ellisz
06/28/2008, 05:11 PM
Sort of off topic but why mix IO and Oceanic?