PDA

View Full Version : global warming in my tank

cgarr017
06/08/2008, 10:36 PM
so the AC in my house has been not at its best potential for about 3 days now and am trying to get it fixed asap and for some reason i didn't even pay attention to the tank temperature b/c i usually never have to worry about it. the temp in the house is 80 and the temp in the tank is spiking at 86. going to get an AC unit first thing in the morning. none of the livestock currently seems too unhappy maybe slightly but i'm guessing its possible i might not see any effects until days down the road. but am i doomed to loose some sps/lps from this temp spike?

Nyxe
06/08/2008, 11:55 PM
I'm having the same problem! Had, actually, for the past 3-4 days.

I tried putting frozen solid blocks of RO/DI ice in the sump. No change in temperature. My tank is riding 86F when the lights are on, and 84 when the lights are off and the tank has a chance to cool down.

Right now I have a giant fan pointed towards my sump, but it's not actually hitting the water. No decrease in temperature noted.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a fan that I can actually point into my sump and see if that helps at all.

So far my fish seem normal, and my corals look the same. Hopefully they stay that way until I can fix this heat wave in my tank!

kkyyllee
06/09/2008, 12:13 AM
if it gets fixed tommoro you may not have any losses most corals and fish can handle temp spikes if there not too high or for too long

LobsterOfJustice
06/09/2008, 07:39 AM
You should be fine, same thing has happened to me in the past.

Atomikk
06/09/2008, 07:51 AM
It all depends if that temperature stays like that for days. If you have swings between say 78-86 every day, then you have a reason to worry. Just point the fan towards the surface of the water and you will greatly decrease your tank's temperature.

stuccodude
06/09/2008, 07:54 AM
i had better luck with a fan pointed across the surface and not at the surface. someone on here told me to do that and my tank dropped another 3 degrees.

greenbean36191
06/09/2008, 09:19 AM
Get the A/C fixed and don't worry about it. You shouldn't see any problems as long as you get the problem fixed soon, especially if the normal temp isn't much lower than 86. The lower the normal temp, the less time you have until you see problems.