PDA

View Full Version : to those who own acrylic tanks...

giants4pc
06/09/2008, 07:41 AM
Can someone help steer me in the right direction for a tool that does a good (safe) job of removing coraline algae? I'm helping a friend that hasn't scraped it in months. Can anyone send a link or provide some info about a good tool?

Atomikk
06/09/2008, 07:49 AM
The unfortunate thing is you will have scratches over time. There is no way around it. Do not use mag-float for acrylic tanks. They will not work.

I used old credit cards and now this:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCatalog/ctl3684/cp18374/si1379633/cl1/kent_pro_scraper_replacement_blade_for_24_35?&query=scraper&queryType=0&offset=

It has to be replaced once every 3 months as it dulls out.

agoutihead
06/09/2008, 08:54 AM
Why arent mag floats good for acrylic tanks? Arent there special kinds of magfloats for acrylic tanks?

jc9394
06/09/2008, 08:59 AM
Try Dobie Cleaning Pad from 3M, I used it with my Magnavore M-2ER Algae Magnet Cleaner.

Hop
06/09/2008, 09:17 AM
I use the acrylic safe kent scrapers as well as strait, scraps of acrylic. But I found that if I hit the pane every day or two with a tiger shark magnet, it keeps most of it at bay;)

tkeracer619
06/09/2008, 10:30 AM
Going to need a kent scraper with an acrylic blade or two. They dull out pretty quick.

The Dobie pad is great.

jmicky41
06/09/2008, 10:36 AM
one more vote for the plastic kent scraper. Buy a handfull of extra blades. My larger magfloat does nothing on corralline, neither does the magnevore 2er - although the magnets help to keep the corraline from becoming established on the tank walls.

davocean
06/09/2008, 10:41 AM
I use the kent scraper as well for coraline.
You have to be real careful to avoid nicking them on rocks, one little burr will scratch.
I always rinse and keep clean, change blades often.
There are acrylic safe mag floats, but I don't just leave them in tank as stuff will grow on them that could scratch, and I've had people in the past walk in and go, "cool, what's this?" and proceed to scrape down to sand and up acrylic face w/ sand particles scratching tank.

miracles38
06/09/2008, 11:30 AM
mighty magnets have a new pad that has this great thing that removes coraline with just a swipe or two. No scratches. This is the best thing I ever bought for cleaning the tank!

koa79
06/09/2008, 12:10 PM
I also use a kent scraper on my 180 they work very well

Orochimaru
06/09/2008, 12:20 PM
old plastic card is good enough for me...had my tank 6 yrs. now and scratches are at a minimum..

Kep
06/09/2008, 12:27 PM
Kent scraper works for me. They dull out quickly and at $3 a pop it's not cheap. Instead of throwing out the blade when it dulls, use a file to resharpen it. I sharpen mine everytime and had the same blade for two years.

Just make sure you get the acrylic safe blades, anything with metal (made for glass only) will scratch (read as: destroy).

pledosophy
06/10/2008, 02:29 AM
I use the Kent thing too, just got it. It's very nice.

I have had many problems with the acrylic magfloats. Looking forward to trying the other ones recommended in this thread.

Cleaning the front of the acrylic is kind of a chore for me as I have to remove the canopy and lights seperatley. I'm just lazy.

SeanT
06/10/2008, 10:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12710481#post12710481 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by miracles38
mighty magnets have a new pad that has this great thing that removes coraline with just a swipe or two. No scratches. This is the best thing I ever bought for cleaning the tank!
Do you have a link to this?

JStorey
06/10/2008, 11:44 AM
What does everyone do close to the sandbed? I have a hammerhead acylic safe for the panes that keeps the acrylic clean but can't get close to the sandbed. I use the kent plastic scraper but have gotten sand in it and have small scratches at the sand surface. Hardly noticable except to me. What method is everyone using? looking for better ideas.

sabodish
06/10/2008, 01:05 PM
mighty magnets for me too...best invention ever.

TWallace
06/10/2008, 01:19 PM
I, too, have a mighty magnet with dozer pad: http://www.mightymagnets.com/. Unfortunately my results aren't as great as others. Mine does not remove coralline that built up over months. It does do a good job of removing small spots if you hit it every few days, but if it's been there months, forget it. It won't put a dent in it.

I've used the Kent scrapers, too, with even poorer results. Built up coralline is impervious to both of these.

I'm upgrading my tank soon, and for this very reason I'm switching to glass. It's just too frustrating removing coralline without a razor blade or equivalent.

Jah2707
06/10/2008, 01:31 PM
http://www.mightymagnets.com/

Did you look at the tank they are using it on! It is just full of hair algae! I guess it is a good example since obviously they have phosphate problems and probably have algae growing everywhere.

glaudds
06/10/2008, 01:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12710802#post12710802 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kep
Kent scraper works for me. They dull out quickly and at $3 a pop it's not cheap. Instead of throwing out the blade when it dulls, use a file to resharpen it. I sharpen mine everytime and had the same blade for two years.

I do something similar, using a medium grit sandpaper on a flat surface. I just run the blade on the sandpaper perpendicularly to
get the edge back.

As mentioned, old credit/gift cards work well also, especially along the sand bed.