PDA

View Full Version : Which overflow?

Ratpack
06/09/2008, 10:21 AM
I am putting together a 75g tank and was going to drill it, but I have decided to keep it somewhat simple and use an HOB overflow. Most of the reason for this decision is this tank will become a sump or frag tank for a larger tank in the future, so I will wait until then to drill when I know where I would want the holes. Now my question is this, which size overflow? My return pump is a Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC. The tank will be about 5 feet to the top so I figure about 1000 gph possible out of the pump. Should I get an overflow that will do 900, 1000 or 1800gph? The brand I am looking at is Eshopps.

Thanks!

tkeracer619
06/09/2008, 11:50 AM
The Eshopps I had was horrible. In general the consensus is that its bad stuff. When I got mine it wasnt glued properly and leaked.... Once I fixed that it didnt produce the flow I needed or that was labeled on it and lost syphon. So I fixed that and got a drilled tank.

If I were going to use a overflow box it would be a lifereef. If it were my tank I would drill it. If you turn the tank into a sump you can always block the hole with a threaded bulkhead and a plug from home depot.

That pump might be a bit oversized for a return. What size is your sump?

sjm817
06/09/2008, 12:21 PM
+1
I'd recommend a LR over the Eshoppes, and also recommend that you drill the tank instead. Ditto again on the pump size. That is big for a 75G unless you have a very large sump.

Ratpack
06/09/2008, 03:39 PM
Sump is a 30 gallon tank. What makes teh Eshopps bad? I looked at one in the LFS and they seem to be made fairly well.

sjm817
06/09/2008, 07:27 PM
Take a look at this thread. The difference between a LR and Eshopps is discussed.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1398198&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Reefbox
06/09/2008, 07:32 PM
Just drill it or have somebody drill it 4 u. The peace of mind is worth it.

Toddrtrex
06/09/2008, 07:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12711983#post12711983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ratpack
Sump is a 30 gallon tank. What makes teh Eshopps bad? I looked at one in the LFS and they seem to be made fairly well.

Poor quality control. On some of them ( mine included ) the baffle in the outside box isn't high enough, and causes it to lose the siphon when the main pump is turned off. I had to modify mine to make it work properly. I have a LifeReef on my 75 ( compared to the Eshopps on my 29 ) and wish I would have spend the extra money and picked up another LifeReef. While they seem expensive, 5+ years of worry free operation is well worth the money.

FranktheTankTx
06/09/2008, 07:40 PM
Well, I'll pitch my 2 cents in. I own an ESHOPPS and had another ESHOPPS on my a previous tank as well. The ESHOPPS never failed in 8 months of continuous operation on my previous tank.

I purchased a second unit for my new tank because:

a) I had previous success with ESHOPPS
&
b) You can get them at Dr Foster's & Smith for about $70 cheaper than a LR.

I think sometimes people don't know how to operate one correctly. Mine flowed fine... never lost siphon, and was built solid.

As for the person who had one leak... I bought an AGA tank once that cracked and busted when I filled it with LR and water. Does that mean AGA tanks are junk? Nope. Everything has a lemon amongst the group.

Anyways, I don't doubt for one second that the LR models are built fantastically. Everyone has nothing but good things to say about them. But I can vouch for ESHOPPS... they do the job.

Toddrtrex
06/09/2008, 07:43 PM
Trust me, I know how to operate one correctly, that was not the issue. The fact that the rear baffle wasn't high enough was the issue.

FranktheTankTx
06/09/2008, 07:45 PM
I can't comment on your baffle problem. But both units I purchased, the baffle is of correct height.

I apologize, I didn't necessarily mean you. You've been of great help to me on certain topics.

tkeracer619
06/09/2008, 07:47 PM
You might have had luck with yours but I can also say that mine was junk and not properly designed regardless of build quality. Many others are aware of the design flaws. It might not be all of them but I wish I spent the extra $70. The carpet cleaning bill was worse than that.

Toddrtrex
06/09/2008, 08:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12713771#post12713771 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FranktheTankTx
I can't comment on your baffle problem. But both units I purchased, the baffle is of correct height.

I apologize, I didn't necessarily mean you. You've been of great help to me on certain topics.

No worries.

:beer:

BrianH
06/10/2008, 07:33 AM
When it comes to something this important, spend the money on the lifereef. I did it six years ago and to this day it is still running fine with no issues.

kjord97
06/10/2008, 08:25 AM
Can we get back to what size pump and what size overflow he needs. I am in the same predictiment. I would like to add a sump to one of my 75 gal tanks and would like to use a overflow.