PDA

View Full Version : About filters.....

MCary
06/09/2008, 12:22 PM
I'm having a heck of a time with blown highlights. I'm thinking of skipping the HDR stuff and going with GND filters. Thinking about square filters with a holder rather than screw in. 3 stop hard and a 2 stop soft. Am I thinking correctly? Any advice on brand or type? Do you use GND filters?

Mike

BlueCorn
06/09/2008, 12:26 PM
Correct. - You don't want screw in GNDs - they force you to have the horizon right smack in the middle of the frame.

I have several from Singh-Ray that I use the heck out of. I have a 2 and 3 stop soft, a 3 stop hard and a 3 stop reverse. They're rectangular and can be used in a Cokin "P" holder but I generally just hand hold it in front of the lens.

http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

BlueCorn
06/09/2008, 12:27 PM
You can also do a two exposure blend without dealing with full-blown HDR (which often looks cheesy)

TitusvileSurfer
06/11/2008, 04:44 PM
I think HDR looks amazing when done right. I would love to see an HDR of a full tank. It would be relatively hard because...fish move. In fact I don't think I have EVER seen one good or bad come to think of it.

bdepp
06/11/2008, 07:24 PM
I use Cokin filters. they are good quality but they don't break the bank.

I wish i had some Singh-Ray filters or Lees.

griffithimage
06/13/2008, 11:37 AM
I don't think you need to go as radical as HDR. Try just taking 3 images and blending them in photoshop. Take a look at this tutorial http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml

TitusvileSurfer
06/14/2008, 06:19 PM
But that IS HDR.

BlueCorn
06/14/2008, 06:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12747675#post12747675 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TitusvileSurfer
But that IS HDR.

Nope. It's blending. It's a different process.

Kmiec123
06/15/2008, 01:40 PM
This website I found I cool because the photographer lets you know what filter he is using in each image, so you can see the differences and can buy the ones you like instead of wasting $100 a piece on a filter you don't like.

Magestic Landscapes (http://www.majesticlandscapesphotography.com/index.php)

Hope this helps.
Carl

MCary
06/17/2008, 10:57 AM
I appreciate that HDR and Blending can produce nice results. But to tell you the truth, I started out as a computer technophile who took pictures. I have CS3, lightroom, awesome computer with 24" high def calibrated monitor and a pen pad. But now that I've been doing this awhile, I want to be a photographer with a computer and try to get the best shots I can with less post processing. A touch of color correction, some sharpening and viola. I don't want to spend an hour taking pictures and 2 hours processing them. That's why I'm interested in GND filters. Although almost any filter can be duplicated in PS, I think you need a UV for lens protection, a polarizer and a GND.

Mike

griffithimage
06/17/2008, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure how as graduated neutral density filter is going to help. They are used on horizons- how does that apply to a reef tank where your highlights are all over the place?

BlueCorn
06/17/2008, 11:08 AM
I don't believe that anyone mentioned tank pictures. ;)

griffithimage
06/17/2008, 11:10 AM
ahhhhh, that clears things up

griffithimage
06/17/2008, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12764673#post12764673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MCary
[B]I appreciate that HDR and Blending can produce nice results. But to tell you the truth, I started out as a computer technophile who took pictures. I have CS3, lightroom, awesome computer with 24" high def calibrated monitor and a pen pad. But now that I've been doing this awhile, I want to be a photographer with a computer and try to get the best shots I can with less post processing. A touch of color correction, some sharpening and viola. I don't want to spend an hour taking pictures and 2 hours processing them. That's why I'm interested in GND filters. Although almost any filter can be duplicated in PS, I think you need a UV for lens protection, a polarizer and a GND.

I commend you on your attitude, it is good to get the best possible exposure in camera rather than post processing. However, don't knock the blending technique, the dynamic range of the sensor -while better than film- still can't handle many real world lighting situations.