PDA

View Full Version : Another Stray voltage thread or Koralia gonna kill me.

Crawf71
06/09/2008, 03:57 PM
Good Day everyone.

Been a long time reader for years and have soaked up a ton of info and can usally figure things out for myself but I need some help!

Been a bad day for me with all my tanks. Day started off with a clump of chateo breaking off in my hang on fuge on my prop tank and overflowing it. Then i go to my 72g tank and stick my hand in the sump and I have been glowing since :eek1:

Well after reading too many threads to count i figured some action was needed. So I maded the trip to lowes. Since I rent a townhouse i can't replace the existing outlet with a GFCI, so I purchased a heavy duty portable one that should do the trick. So I now have a GFCI, woo!

Well I got back home and unplugged everything on the tank. The first order of business was to make sure the outlet was grounded(for the ground lead), which it was. I then unplugged everything in the tank and then check the vac, which was 1.024. I was sorta of surprised, upon further reading the ions in saltwater can produce this current. I proceeded to plug in the mag drive return pump(ok) and the stealth heater(ok). Then came the Hydor Koralia 3. The multimeter jumped up to 120vac. So I THINK i found the problem. But when I plugged in the return pump and the heater the vac in the tank with the same ground dropped to below 1vac.

Any clue how this can be? I am so confused right now with this that im about to pull my hair out. Any help will be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks, Chris

kenargo
06/09/2008, 04:24 PM
It sounds like the Koralia may be grounding through the heater or return pump (my bet is the return pump).

I'd suggest replacing the Koralia (that is certainly bad given the information above) and plug everything into a GFI outlet (you can get one which plugs into the wall so you don't need to replace the outlet).

Crawf71
06/09/2008, 05:01 PM
Upon further testing of equipment on a whim I plugged in the afore mentioned Koralia. Testing the Vac once again it was under 1. I then turned the plug of the Koralia 3 around and then plugged it in, tested the Vac was then 120. Maybe the internal wiring is bad or reversed. Just thought i would post more info.

I already called Fosters and smith and they already have one in the mail to me.

Thanks for the help so far.

Chris

speakerguy
06/09/2008, 05:20 PM
Switch your meter over to amps and see what current you get flowing to ground.

Also, the Korralia is a two-prong plug device, yes?

Crawf71
06/09/2008, 05:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12712681#post12712681 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by speakerguy
Switch your meter over to amps and see what current you get flowing to ground.

Also, the Korralia is a two-prong plug device, yes?

Yeah the Koralia is a two prong device. I would check the amps but I just boxed up the unit for return. On a good note the other koralia with the order is working perfect.