PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and black Ocellaris question

Octopus8
06/10/2008, 09:48 AM
Been lurking for a few weeks now, so I finally decided to introduce myself and post a simple question.

I'm new to the whole "nano reef" thing, but I do have experience in reef aquariums. I kept a 150 gallon reef from the mid 80's until 1999. Halide lights, chiller, protein skimmer, UV sterilizer, auto top-off, RO DI unit in the basement, etc. I'm amazed at how things have changed over the years during my nine year hiatus. Glad to be back.

Below is a brief description of my current aquarium. It has fully cycled and the Coralline algae is starting to spread on the live rock. All of the water tests are within correct or acceptable parameters.

Aquarium: 24g Aquapod(stock compact florescent upgraded with silent fans)
Pumps: Two Koralia Nano and one Maxijet 900
Live rock: 38 lbs.
Substrate: 25 lbs. CaribSea live sand and 6 lbs. Garf Grunge

Coral:
Variety of Zoanthid polyps.
Yellow Polyps
Blue mushrooms
Xenia
Cabbage Leather coral
Ricordea

Fish:
Orange Ocellaris
Black Ocellaris
Golden Sailfin Blenny atrosalarias fuscus (algae eating machine)

CUC:
Mostly Astrea, Cerith and Nerite snails
A couple of Red and Blue leg hermits.

HERE'S MY QUESTION:
About a week ago I received my order for a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish. The orange fish is about 1.3" and the black is 1.5"-1.75". So far they are doing great in their new home. They gobble up Formula One and Formula Two pellets with enthusiasm. They've paired up nicely and the larger fish(black) fish is exhibiting typical female clownfish behavior. Should I expect my black Ocellaris to eventually turn predominantly black? I've seen them with orange/brown faces before,but the body is usually black. Mine is brown/orange below the dorsal fin while the lower half of the fish is jet black(see photo). I know that juvenile fish are brown or dark orange and eventually turn black as they mature. I've read some conflicting online information about black ocellaris coloring. I'm just looking for a little clarification and real world experience with these fish.

Thanks in advance for your input.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/octavio8/BlackOcellaris.jpg

acrodave
06/10/2008, 09:54 AM
first off [welcome]

and yes as she get older she will turn all black

acrodave
06/10/2008, 09:59 AM
this is my black female .. she came form ora so i would guess she was about 8-10 mths. when i got her and i have had her about a year and a half .. jet black
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg101/acrodave/DSC01203.jpg

Octopus8
06/10/2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the welcome and confirmation that she will turn all black.

Octopus8
06/10/2008, 10:02 AM
acrodave,
How long/large is she in that photo?

acrodave
06/10/2008, 10:04 AM
oh i would say 2-2 1/2 in

Octopus8
06/10/2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks Dave.