PDA

View Full Version : Silicone sealant that works with glass/acrylic

tankdvr
06/10/2008, 01:05 PM
I'm just wrapping up the work on my sump. I was planning on using acrylic baffles cut from a sheet I already had. I was reading up on the different methods of attaching them to the tank, and when I was at home depot today I saw a sealant that claims to adhere to glass and acrylic.

It's the GE 100% silcone sealant for Lexan sheets & other plastics. Hmm, that's a hell of a long title for a product. Anyway, have any of you used it in your tanks before? I tried to find more info about it on the GE site, but I'm having trouble tracking it down.

nyvp
06/10/2008, 01:24 PM
for simple stuff like that I use GE silicone #1 which doesn't have the mildew resister in it.

tankdvr
06/10/2008, 01:43 PM
The only problem with using just plain old silicone is that it doesn't actually bind with acrylic. You just sort of wedge it in place with big glops of silicone and hope that water pressure doesn't pop it out of the groove you made.

I'm planning on having a much higher water level in the refugium than in the rest of the sump, and I just want to make sure I don't have a blowout. I know it's only in the sump and probably wouldn't be a problem if it happened, I just don't like the idea of having to go back and do a job a second time when I could do it right the first time.

Kewlworm
06/10/2008, 01:51 PM
Unless your refugium isn't 100gal+ silicone is fine.

tankdvr
06/10/2008, 02:06 PM
Ah, so the weakness of using normal silicone with acrylic and glass is vastly overstated?

JDigital
06/10/2008, 02:10 PM
I picked up the "GE Silicone II 100% Window and Door" stuff last night to hopefully add my acrylic overflow to my glass tank...

Was advised to use it on another forum.

Veni vidi vici
06/10/2008, 02:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12719135#post12719135 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JDigital
I picked up the "GE Silicone II 100% Window and Door" stuff last night to hopefully add my acrylic overflow to my glass tank...

Was advised to use it on another forum.
I dont think your supposed to use GE II Because of the mildew inhibitor.I think GE I 100% is the one your looking for.

JDigital
06/10/2008, 02:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12719190#post12719190 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Veni vidi vici
I dont think your supposed to use GE II Because of the mildew inhibitor.I think GE I 100% is the one your looking for.

Ahh crap... your right... just went back to that other thread... I must have got mixed up staring at the wall of silicone tubes at HD... :o

Good thing I didn't open it! haha

Veni vidi vici
06/10/2008, 03:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12719335#post12719335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JDigital
Ahh crap... your right... just went back to that other thread... I must have got mixed up staring at the wall of silicone tubes at HD... :o

Good thing I didn't open it! haha
LOL i just got done tearing mine apart and starting over.