PDA

View Full Version : My substrate has changed

GoLowDrew
06/10/2008, 02:39 PM
When I first started, I have a nice sand substrate, and maybe a bit of crush coral. Over time, like 4 years, I seems to have more coral/rock on the surface. I think maybe it's from the LR.

Good or bad. Should I try to remove it and have more sand surface again?

heller792
06/10/2008, 03:15 PM
Its up to you in the end. Whats your preference? I would leave it, inside you closed system nature is doing what it would in the wild and all that rubble will have plenty of microscopic life on it.

klavestat
06/10/2008, 09:41 PM
Aragonite (calcium carbonate) in your sand will dissolve with time. This is a natural process in the ocean and helps buffer your water against pH changes. Rocks will also do this. It's a normal and healthy thing but in a closed system (aquarium) you should be prepared to add more sand periodically to help keep a healthy sand bed (I add 20 lbs or so a year to my 180 gallon tank).

Aquarist007
06/10/2008, 09:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12722239#post12722239 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by klavestat
Aragonite (calcium carbonate) in your sand will dissolve with time. This is a natural process in the ocean and helps buffer your water against pH changes. Rocks will also do this. It's a normal and healthy thing but in a closed system (aquarium) you should be prepared to add more sand periodically to help keep a healthy sand bed (I add 20 lbs or so a year to my 180 gallon tank).

I agree--get a piece of pvc 2 inch pipe that will go to the substrate and add a funnel to the opposite end
This will allow you to add the sand close to the existing substrate and prevent a snow storm
I would not go over 3-4 inches in total sand bed

You can add a half inch or so over the entire exposed surface or add a inch over a quarter of the exposed surface. Allow a week for the bacteria to reseed the new argonite then repeat.

GoLowDrew
06/20/2008, 11:01 AM
I recall reading (and asking here when I first started) that crushed coral was not a good substrate. With all the tiny rubbles, the surface like of look like a crushed coral landscape.

So will it have the same effect as crushed coral?