PDA

View Full Version : Minijet 606 clogging problems

Jimbo327
06/10/2008, 03:02 PM
I've been using a Minijet 606 as my main return pump in my 6 gallon nano. It's a great little pump, but it is in my last chamber and right before my refugium. It gets clogged all the time, and really slows the flow.

I tried putting netting over the pump inlet, but it doesn't work well. Usually, it goes good for a week, then the pump slows down because it is getting blocked.

Anyone else have this problem or a solution? If you have this pump, you will know the pump inlet is very very small.

Agu
06/10/2008, 08:38 PM
Have you removed the filter pad inside the inlet housing?It's pretty much worthless and clogs easily.

cherubfish pair
06/10/2008, 09:49 PM
I didn't know it had a filter pad. Just got it and haven't got it running yet.

bad santa
06/11/2008, 11:59 AM
I have the same set up as you Jimbo. Thsi is what i have tried.

1st attempt:

I got some window mesh and glued it to some eggcrate. I put the filter in front of the overflow going into the 3rd chamber. This has kept the cheato out but you have to clean the filter every few days as it will restrict the flow going into the 3rd chamber once its clogged.

2nd attempt:

In essence i made a box out of eggcrate and placed my cheato in the box. The box i then placed in the bottom of the 2nd chamber with my bag of purigen on top of the box. This has worked for me better than the 1st try as i only have to cleam out my pump every few months compared to every few weeks without any protection.

bad santa
06/11/2008, 12:06 PM
this is a pic of what im talking about. I have moved my heater to the 2nd chamber and have my chiller return in that chambe also so i had to cut the top of the cheato box. I also used zip ties to make a hinge so i can easilly pull out the box if i need to.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j63/badsanta72/P1010011.jpg

Jimbo327
06/11/2008, 05:23 PM
Hey Ed,

Our setup is similar, but how we arrange our back chamber is different. My chiller return is in the 3rd chamber for me, and so is my ATO and heater. My 3rd chamber is packed to the limit, there is no wiggle room. LOL.

I've tried several things.

1) I've sealed the pump into a 5 micron bag and hoping the big surface area of the bag won't get clogged that often. Wrong. Lasted about a week.

2) I've tried to rubberband a piece of foam in front of the pump inlet, and then placing the whole thing in a 5 micro bag. Still not satisfied.

Agu, the pump inlet is so tiny, that is where it is getting clogged. I may take the whole pump out and see what I can do to it. Maybe use my dremel to see if I can widen the inlet hole, not sure. But I'm sure getting tired of moving all the stuff out of my last chamber to unclog this pump every week.

Agu
06/11/2008, 06:56 PM
The minijet is a fountain pump not an aquarium pump. It's designed to point up with the intake at the bottom. When used in aquariums it's prone to clog. Instead I dumped the Maxijet minis for the Tunze Minis (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=T5024.04&Category_Code=Tunze_pumps) They work like a champ and don't clog up.

jme,

Jimbo327
06/12/2008, 05:36 PM
I have a Tunze Mini as well, I'm using it as a powerhead right now. Maybe I should swap them. But I don't want to spend the money to replace the MJ606 since I already paid good money for it.

I guess this is not a common problem for others.

Agu
06/12/2008, 06:04 PM
I guess this is not a common problem for others.

It was a problem for me, that's why I switched to the Tunze.

cherubfish pair
06/12/2008, 07:01 PM
Since I have credit at Marine Depot I won't get the Tunze Mini at Premium Aquatics and since MD doesn't have the Tunze. MD has the Eheim 300 Compact (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~EH1000~idCategory~FIPHCP~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Powerheads-Compact_Pumps~vendor~.html) and the Hydor Seltz L20 (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~HD12127~idCategory~FIWPSBUF~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Water_Pumps-Submersible-0___500_GPH~vendor~.html) . Which would you guys choose?

Jimbo327
06/13/2008, 03:30 PM
I just took out the whole front plate of the MJ606 to see if that will work. I'll let you know how it works out in a week or so, see if it was clog up. But it is so powerful right now that it's like a hurricane in my tank. I've got 2 of these on my 6 gallon, and also a Tunze. I don't think my fish can swim straight. LOL.

Jimbo327
06/18/2008, 04:39 PM
Day 5 and still going strong. /crosses finger

Jimbo327
06/24/2008, 06:31 PM
Still going strong! I think it is Day 11.

Hey Ed and Agu, I think this is the best setup so far. Give it a shot if you don't mind the flow. It is great.

bad santa
06/24/2008, 06:41 PM
you know, everytime i took out the pump to cleam out the cheato i thought about taking out the from cover but never did. when i do my next water change ill take out the cover. Jim did you notice a big difference in flow? If so, then the hydro that is collectiong dust in my storage bin might be put to good use.

uncwalley
06/24/2008, 07:40 PM
I've done this as well and it works great. The flow does pick up quite a bit and no steady decline as with the cover on. Right now my biggest concern is keeping my sand in place.

Jimbo327
06/26/2008, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I would say the flow is really high without the cover. My pump would usually already been clogged by now, but this one is still going strong. I guess the only thing that may cause a problem if a rock or snail got into the impeller and jam it.

It is putting out so much flow that I'm now pointing my nozzle to the top of my tank, and it is causing a nice little ripple across the surface, and put a dent in my sandbed. But I think my corals love this new flow though.

cherubfish pair
07/06/2008, 04:26 PM
Hey, I've got to try this one on my 606!

Jimbo327
07/15/2008, 05:51 PM
Still going strong!

bad santa
07/15/2008, 08:44 PM
Jim, I took off the cover the other day and i got to say "that is too much flow". my frogsspan is still ****ed off but my xenia are loving the flow.

Jimbo327
07/16/2008, 04:38 PM
LOL. There is never enough flow!!! (That's just my old SPS mind talking) My frogspawn loves the flow, but it is located right before the overflow.

Ed, I have 2 of the 606 and a Tunzi mini powerhead. LOL.

Like I said, I point the nozzle up, and it is creating a nice rippling action on the surface of the water. The tank got ****ed for a little bit, but then it adapted to the flow. My sand got all carved up, but things just kinda reshaped and got used to the flow.