PDA

View Full Version : Powder blue tang

agreeive?fish
06/10/2008, 04:31 PM
My powder blue tang ~5-6 inches has discovered my korolia #4 and has been ridding it like a roller coaster and having fun for the last 2 days off and on but spends about 70-80% of his time ridding the surf...

Aidan
06/10/2008, 04:35 PM
mine does the same thing with my vortechs

oknamaste
06/10/2008, 10:41 PM
my kole tang does the same thing with the modded rio 1700 i have for water flow

NanoGurl
06/11/2008, 01:59 AM
Tangs love oxygen and high currents. The water passes through their gills which helps their health as well as breath better if there are problems.

If they are doing this alot, I would check your oxygen levels as well as ammonia and nitrate.

Bohle
06/11/2008, 05:12 AM
I agree with NanoGurl, my buddy had a Powder Blue and didnt make it because of the lack of oxygen movement.

Playa-1
06/11/2008, 05:54 AM
Playing in the currents is normal but If they appear to be swimming a marathon then you need to investigate.

Chago09
06/11/2008, 06:25 AM
my yellow tang always plays in the current. He like swims into the current then darts upwards toward the top, then goes right back to the bottom and repeats.

I doubt it has to do with oxygen though?? my tank has a basement sump so my water is crashing like 15' into a sump. The returns both aggitate the surface while the PH focus more on the rocks and the tank.

agreeive?fish
06/11/2008, 07:16 AM
I dont know how to test O2 levels.

I kina thought it may be 02 levels as we lost power for several hours due to severe thunderstorms..so i added about 6 airpumps (temporary) also added a couple small pond fountain pumps in the sump to break surface tension and did a 100g water change after the power came back on just to be on the safe side

I have been saying for the last 4 years that iam going to buy a generator (Oklahoma thunder storms) but never did because the storms seemed to always just miss my little corner of the world for the last 4 years..well i have this uneasy feeling that luck has run out and we are due for more than our share of the bad weather so i went out yesterday and bought 2 (yes 2) portable generators to run the tanks (just pumps for water movment ect no lights since its a FOWLR tanks) and other house hold items like fridge , lights and tvs(for kids and for weather watching) iam not getting caught with my pants down today i got to do the expensive part and buy the gas( good chance of severe weather tomorow afternoon/evening)