PDA

View Full Version : Sulphur Denitrate Reactors

cocoaandme
06/10/2008, 06:15 PM
Hi I was wondering if anybody has experience with them. Also I was thinking about buying one a while back and I found a website that carried them but I don't remember what it was. I think it was midwest aquatics or west coast aquatics or something like that. Does anybody know what I am talking about? I'd like to find them again. Thanks! Oh and do you need a starter colony of bacteria or do they just form once you hook up the reactor?

BLockamon
06/10/2008, 08:11 PM
I think you're talking about this one: http://www.midwestaquatic.com/

I used a sulfur denitrator for a while, and I'm probably going to be starting it up again in a little bit. They work great for getting rid of nitrate. You do not need a starter colony of bacteria.

The only side-effect I had was a lower equilibrium alkalinity when I was running the unit. However, I'd rather have that than nitrate.

snorvich
06/10/2008, 08:20 PM
Great for FOWLR tanks. The URL posted is good, H&S also has a good one.

cocoaandme
06/11/2008, 03:30 AM
YES!!! That is exactly the site I was looking for! Thank you very much!

JStorey
06/11/2008, 11:41 AM
I have the Midwest and they work just as advertised. Very easy to use as well.

cocoaandme
06/23/2008, 06:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12721559#post12721559 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BLockamon
I think you're talking about this one: http://www.midwestaquatic.com/

I used a sulfur denitrator for a while, and I'm probably going to be starting it up again in a little bit. They work great for getting rid of nitrate. You do not need a starter colony of bacteria.

The only side-effect I had was a lower equilibrium alkalinity when I was running the unit. However, I'd rather have that than nitrate.

Ok I just got one. Thanks! I was wondering how long it would be before I strt noticing a drop in nitrates? Thanks!

USC-fan
06/23/2008, 07:15 PM
I heard it takes about a week before they start dropping.

I always wanted to get one of these reactors but my nitrates never go above 1ppm.

roxsburyrage
06/30/2008, 07:25 AM
Anyone use a H&S Unit