PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! my anenome got caugth

Aerowen
06/11/2008, 11:26 AM
even tougth i had all my powerheads and pumps covered in pantyhose she somehow got some tentacles caugth in the motor. now the whole side is chopped up- the tentacles are all ruptured and are a mess. what should i do? it seems to be a very seriuous injury to recover from- should i split the side that is healthy ( not chopped up?) :confused:

Aerowen
06/11/2008, 11:51 AM
i took a picture to show the damage
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm109/Aerowen2008/anenome001-1.jpg
the circled part is the damaged part- no damage to mouth or oral disk.

kimsie
06/11/2008, 11:54 AM
Ok - the picture helps a lot - is it a BTA? Looks like it.

With no damage to the oral disk or mouth - what about the foot? I can't fully tell but it looks like the foot isn't damaged?

If so - I think it should make a full recovery - but don't mess with it. Run carbon and make sure your water is perfect.

DISCLAIMER - this is all just from what I've read - I haven't experienced this myself! Someone else may chime in though once I post.

Aerowen
06/11/2008, 12:00 PM
the foot did not sustain damage- she was fine 10 mts ago and i walk by the tank and see a long thing being pulled in by the pump! i have no idea how it happened because it was completly covered by two sides of hose. i will put on a bag of carbon thanks!

kimsie
06/11/2008, 12:13 PM
Are your lights getting old? Sometimes this affects anemones and they decide to let go to try to find a better place?

I would think that if it's been healthy for 10 months - and your picture (the damage is NOT as bad as I have seen pictures of) that things will be fine.

:)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Aerowen
06/11/2008, 12:26 PM
thanks, i actually just got the MH changed ( barely a month old) I am not sure where you got the 10 mts old ( kimsie?) this is a 3rd generation anenome i just got from a fellow aquarist that has had the mother in his tank i beleive 8 yrs( not sure) but a long time. It has been healthy for a long time and i recently got it 5 days ago. the damage looked so bad, but i guess they can regrow tentacles? currently it had completly closed up, but firmly attached to the rock. thanks

kimsie
06/11/2008, 12:27 PM
OH! When you said "she was fine 10 mts ago and i walk by the tank" - I thought you meant she was fine for 10 months - then you walked by the tank...

Sorry!

a4twenty
06/11/2008, 07:02 PM
were you feeding, and what?

reefman13
06/11/2008, 07:19 PM
I assume this is a new addition...what you need to do is just keep your return on, and run carbon like crazy. Give it 48-72hrs to recover a little and then try feeding. Otherwise leave it alone.

FlyinggFish
06/11/2008, 11:32 PM
This happened to my anemone, too. Stupid me, I just pulled it out and didn't realize anything would happen. I called "fish 911" and they told me if the mouth isn't messed up, droopy, or abnormal, that's a good sign..if tentacles fell off, that's not a big deal, good can come out of it and new anemones can grow (which I'm not too sure about that, but that's what the guy told me). I don't know if you want to take this info into consideration but i figured...anything helps.

I would recommend to def. do a water change if your water starts smelling or gets dusty, which happened when my anemone got stuck. The fogginess/dustiness & smell will dye off within a day and a half.

Titus77
06/11/2008, 11:37 PM
I had a nem get passed through a MaxiJet 1200, nothing was left of him but the milky water. It was sad too, because I just got him the night before and it was my first RBTA. I bought it for $50. Not bad, considering that they go for >$100 now at my LFS where I got it.

Aerowen
06/12/2008, 08:39 AM
yes i cant imagine if i had taken longer to notice it. yesterday she closed up all the way and looked droppy. today she opened up a bit but is hiding under some rockwork. I can still see the foot and it is firmly attached. The mouth is shut tigth, and the rest of the surving tentacles are out.Does anyone know if they regrow tentacles?