PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Through Wall

NoCarrier
06/12/2008, 04:41 PM
I'm planning on re-locating my sump, refugium, chiller, and other equipment to the garage and I'm wondering if you can share any tips on plumbing through the wall. For example:

- Tools and methods to cut through the drywall

- How to make the finished job look clean

- Ways to seal the drywall so that, god forbid there's a leak, water doesn't run along the pvc and end up between the two sheets of drywall.

Pics would be great.

Thanks!
John

Pbrown3701
06/12/2008, 06:32 PM
To cut the hole, simply buy a drywall knife.

What i did was to measure the height of the outlet boxes in the room where my tank was. I then cut a hole out behind the tank that is the same size as an electrical single gang box (junction box). I also cut out the same on the other side of the wall. I have all my pipes and wires running through this hole.

So now, when I sell the house, i just pull the pipes and wires, put in a junction box and cover the hole with a standard wall trim plate (or even turn it into an outlet).

NoCarrier
06/12/2008, 06:38 PM
Very clever idea. Are you concerned at all about the area between the two layers of drywall being exposed?

WarDaddy
06/12/2008, 06:50 PM
I did it like this:

http://www.photos.thegiffordgang.net/d/73-2/cube6.jpg

http://www.photos.thegiffordgang.net/d/82-2/cube9.jpg

geraldwhite
06/12/2008, 11:54 PM
Another option:

Cut a square big enough to fit all your pipes. Cut this hole adjacent to a stud if your pipes are large, this way you can secure the pipes to this stud. Take the cut piece out and using a hole saw drill out all the holes for your pipes.

Run your pipes through this hole so now the square piece has the pipes going through it. Attach the pipes to the stud using a pipe fastener/holder (these come in plastic all sizes). Slide the square cut back to the wall so it lines up again. Being next to the stud also means you can put a few nails in the stud to secure the square. Now using drywall mud patch the square. You can then run a little bead of silicone around the pipe and the holes. Sand it then paint it.

Should look clean.

NoCarrier
06/13/2008, 12:44 PM
Great info. Thanks fellas.