PDA

View Full Version : Vile Weeds? (Corals you won't add again)

HumanIMDB
06/12/2008, 05:11 PM
<a href="http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1410297" target=_blank>This thread</a> about mushroom growth got me thinking...are there any corals you regret adding to your tank and will never add them again?

I will never add mushrooms, xenia, or star polyps to any of our tanks again.

We've lost a really nice ricordia to GSPs and our blastomussa is almost gone due to mushroom crowding.

Freed
06/12/2008, 05:17 PM
I, too, will never add mushrooms ever again.

Nano Chris
06/12/2008, 05:31 PM
I would think it looks great, i want to have my RSM stocked looking full, but i don't think i would let it get like that, i would frag them and trade for more corals.

Agu
06/12/2008, 06:15 PM
There are no "vile weed" corals, but there are corals in the wrong tank. I have a zoanthid/ softies tank. Works out fine. I also have an LPS tank where eliminating zoa hitchhikers was a real problem.

IMO the problem starts when people stock "beginner corals" because they're easy and then they take over the tank.

klavestat
06/12/2008, 08:08 PM
Not corals per se, but generally speaking you don't want to mix corals and anemone in the same tank - unless there's plenty of buffer space between them (asking for a full chemo-nuclear exchange).

Chibils
06/12/2008, 09:41 PM
My star polyps grow like snails. I don't really have many corals, though. :<

Skeptic_07
06/12/2008, 09:59 PM
Agu is correct.

My newbieness was actually able to kill the xenia. it spread a little, then melted away. I upgraded tanks and lighting about 7 months after all the xenia was gone. a few months after that, i end up with a large patch growing out of one of my rocks, way more than i ever had before. crazy!

BeesGoneWild
06/12/2008, 10:38 PM
hehe xenia are funny like that. I have a Green sinularia that I got four years ago as a one inch frag, my tank now has eight full blown colonies of it. I dont mind it at all in fact its nice becouse I frag them and get store credit and cash for them. I wish my red shrooms would spread like wildfire too.

tmz
06/12/2008, 10:59 PM
I love them all and I'm willing to move them or trim them when needed.

jpitts101
06/12/2008, 11:32 PM
I have several corals i cant give away! i loved them for awhile but now i want a sps dominant tank with just a few softies like yumas and recordia. One of the corals i would love to get rid of is a 30 inch across maroon toadstool. its supposed to be rare, it grows like a weed in my tank and takes a full side of my 180.

tmz
06/12/2008, 11:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12736923#post12736923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jpitts101
I have several corals i cant give away! i loved them for awhile but now i want a sps dominant tank with just a few softies like yumas and recordia. One of the corals i would love to get rid of is a 30 inch across maroon toadstool. its supposed to be rare, it grows like a weed in my tank and takes a full side of my 180. :) Frag the rare toadstool; sell the frags and use the money to buy another tank for sps.:rollface:

jpitts101
06/12/2008, 11:41 PM
i'd love to but at the moment i dont have a frag tank set up. and dont want to do it in my main tank due to the rumors of them leaching toxins when fragged. Also time is a issue, i dont have the time to ship them out when fragged. 2 jobs, 1 kid = no time.