PDA

View Full Version : Well now I have done it!! Made the tank into a blender

guinness0514
06/12/2008, 08:13 PM
Please tell me I am not the only one who has done this.....I was putting in a Tunze 6045 powerhead into my 28g nano tank to help with flow cause I had a little of a red slime issue. I was trying to adjust the cord (i know I know, I was supposed to get it all set before turning it on) and the housing split in half and the fan hit the sand bed and threw sand all in the tank bed. I removed the powerhead and dug out all of the corals I had on the sand bed and immediately did a 20% water change. I have all items accounted for, but I am worried that the sturring of the sand bed will cause havoc on the tank. I know the first thing to think of is an toxic release of trapped things in the sand, but the tank is about 2 1/2 months old, so hopefully wond be that bad. What do you think? Will my fish and inverts be in trouble?

Craig731
06/12/2008, 08:17 PM
I have nothing helpful to say.

However, when plugging in my Koralia III, I've had the cap pop off and send the propeller shooting across the tank like a whirling blade of death before.

guinness0514
06/12/2008, 08:20 PM
Wow, I bet that would have been interesting to see. :)

Ajilon
06/12/2008, 08:26 PM
I think you'll be fine. Is the water cloudy? settling? are you using a filter sock? If you don't have a sock, take a pillowcase and put over your overflow in your sump. I've found that helps to clear the water. Also, check your levels every day.

Seriously speaking though, I doubt your sand has anything harsh in it. It's not that old. Try moving a 5 year established tank from one house to another. I do regularly vacuum my sand bed though. :D

guinness0514
06/12/2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks...Makes me feel better...I felt bad for the plate coral in my tank. I had to dig him out of the sand bed. He is the one I am worried about the most....but the sand is cloudy, just take time to calm down I guess...

Playa-1
06/12/2008, 09:48 PM
This also sounds like a Priceless MasterCard commercial
:lol:

ser_renely
06/12/2008, 09:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12735687#post12735687 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Craig731
I have nothing helpful to say.

However, when plugging in my Koralia III, I've had the cap pop off and send the propeller shooting across the tank like a whirling blade of death before.

omg, lol

BeesGoneWild
06/12/2008, 10:43 PM
wow, alot of mishaps tonight...lol.

Your tank should be fine as long as you blow the sand off your corals. I would still run some fresh activated carbon in there just to be on the safe side though.

Chago09
06/13/2008, 06:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12735780#post12735780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by guinness0514
Thanks...Makes me feel better...I felt bad for the plate coral in my tank. I had to dig him out of the sand bed. He is the one I am worried about the most....but the sand is cloudy, just take time to calm down I guess...

he'll be fine don't worry. Its not like you left it under the sand for hours. Theres no way that was any more stressfull then putting the coral in a plastic bag then driving home with the coral splashing, flipping and twirling in the bag. Corals are not as sensitive as some would think

guinness0514
06/13/2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks, but he doesn't look real good either...we will see... : /