PDA

View Full Version : aquapod 24gal with 70watts mh

xskyzx
06/13/2008, 09:24 AM
I'm thinking about getting a 24gal aquapod that come with 70watts mh. Can i keep sps under this light? Atleast some sps? Is the 70watts mh good enough?

Does it generate a lot of heat? If so then I should raise the light to 1foot above the tank? And I'm thinking to keep some lps too so would the light burn it? Should I put the lps at the bottom and sps on top?
Any advices are appreciated....thanks guys...

Illuminati
06/13/2008, 11:58 AM
24g Aquapods come with 70W Sunpods? Got a link?

I know the 12g used to come with the 70W but the 70W Sunpods won't fit on a 24 (70W Sunpods are like 16.5" long, 24g tank is between 18 and 20" long).

Either way a 70W halide over a 24g tank would not look that great or provide a lot of light for the tank.

Go with the 150W over the 24

xskyzx
06/13/2008, 12:12 PM
I buying it used, I think the 70watts that come with the 24gal is the older version and now they updated it to 150watts.

So 70watts is nothing near to keep sps? I asked local fishstore and they said its should be ok...

Any other advices? Thanks

zdawgnight
06/13/2008, 01:34 PM
I had the 70 watt and you can keep things alive with it but you wont get nice colors and you only will aloud to keep em up in the top. I would go with 150 or 250 if you still can you wont regret it. I am using the 150 and am happy with it but I always think what it I had the bigger size.

xskyzx
06/13/2008, 01:51 PM
Is the 150watts give you heat problem? How high you have to put away from the top? Do you keepzoas n lps under that light? I'm scare it might burn it.
Thanks

zdawgnight
06/13/2008, 02:06 PM
this summer I have been having a little bit of trouble but as long as my air conditioning is on im keeping my tank at a cool 78 to 79. I have zoas at the bottom they seem to do fine. Most of my sps are towards the top 2/3 but I am keeping a poccilipora pretty low and its growing like a weed. I have never had a problem with burning corals with it.

xskyzx
06/13/2008, 10:48 PM
hi zdawg, can i keep clams under 70watts? should i put them up high same to sps?

thanks alot sir

Conductive
06/13/2008, 11:02 PM
i have a heathy clam in my 6 gallon under a 70w viper. doesnt seems to be growing incredibly fast, but that's fine with me.

xskyzx
06/13/2008, 11:42 PM
but the one im getting is 24gal...wow 6 gals tank under 70 watts ...ur tank must look nice.

Conductive
06/14/2008, 01:40 AM
i guess you're right. the clam is only about a foot and a half under the lamp. Personally, i think a 70watt would be ok if you left it on longer, but a 150watt light isn't that much more money, is it?

jdallred
06/14/2008, 08:54 AM
Is the 70w MH a Sunpod? If it is and if you are really set on the setup you have a chance to buy you can always modify the 70w and upgrade to 150w. I had a 16.5" 70w Sunpod I upgraded to 150w and am currently running it over a 12AP. The mod can be done for less than $100. This price is without the bulb, but chances are you will want to replace the 70w bulb anyway. The 150w ballast was a tight fit for the 16.5" fixture but if it is the 20" fixture it should fit with no problems.

xskyzx
06/14/2008, 10:16 PM
I'm buying it used and its coming with the 70watts. That's y I don't want to upgrage to the 150watts.
I just wanna keep some sps and 1 clam. I just wonder if its good enough under 70watts.
Thanks guys for advices.

friedrice2841
06/16/2008, 07:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12738588#post12738588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xskyzx
I'm thinking about getting a 24gal aquapod that come with 70watts mh. Can i keep sps under this light? Atleast some sps? Is the 70watts mh good enough?

Does it generate a lot of heat? If so then I should raise the light to 1foot above the tank? And I'm thinking to keep some lps too so would the light burn it? Should I put the lps at the bottom and sps on top?
Any advices are appreciated....thanks guys...

Can I assume that the 24 gal Aquapod will be an open-top, using a sunpod for lighting? If so, the main problem you will have will be with keeping your water stable. I think that you will find it hard to keep sps without investing some kind of good HOB skimmer and a good auto top off system.

I have a 24 gal Aquapod (with the PC lighting upgrade). I get almost no evaporation, but I have noticed that, even with light feedings, reduced photo period, and an adequate clean up crew, I am getting some green algae and some bubble algae. This tank does not have a skimmer, but I do weekly 3 gal water changes.

I also have a 34 gal Solana w/150 hqi. I keep my house around 73 degrees, and I still get a lot of evaporation (almost 1 gal/day). I feel that this is due to the open top, the fans that cool the water, and the metal halide. I have tried some SPS in this tank, and have found that it will live, but not grow very fast (if at all). I do not think this tank is stable enough (with the salinity swings) to keep any sps. This tank does any a stock skimmer, and I have no problems with any kind of algae.

I am planning on purchasing a good auto top off unit in hopes that it will stablize the salinity. Besides, the water level needs to be at a certain level to make the skimmer work right.

Anyway, sorry for the long, drawn out explanation, but I feel like a lot of people only think about lighting when it comes to sps. Water quality/temp is also an important issue.

Good Luck on purchasing an Aquapod, it is a fine tank!