PDA

View Full Version : Ecotech Marine Vortech MP40W in a 28 gallon JBJ Nano Cube.

Jasonanatal
06/13/2008, 03:06 PM
I was curious to know if I dialed down the speed of the Vortech MP40W to 500 gph would anyone think it would create too much flow and irritate the sandbed within a 28 gallon JBJ Nano Cube HQI. Or is it really worth it to wait for the MP20? Thank you for the assistance.

jgillard
06/13/2008, 03:50 PM
I think the minumum speed of the mp40w is 1000GPH. It will only run 500GPH in feed mode. As for if it would irritate the sandbed I think you would be ok running at slowest speed.

kidzag
06/14/2008, 04:15 PM
I just installed a Vortech MP40W today on my JBJ 28 HQI and it's awesome. I have very fine substrate and no problems at all. Reef crest mode is the best. I didn't even have to turn it all the way down ! Flow is the key to a great reef and the Vortech MP40W is the ticket. Pulse mode works pretty good too but the problem is that it's really easy to get the whole stand rockin' so I will stay away from that except when I'm "showing off". I say go for the mp40w now, you won't be dissapointed .

Jasonanatal
06/14/2008, 07:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12747183#post12747183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kidzag
I just installed a Vortech MP40W today on my JBJ 28 HQI and it's awesome. I have very fine substrate and no problems at all. Reef crest mode is the best. I didn't even have to turn it all the way down ! Flow is the key to a great reef and the Vortech MP40W is the ticket. Pulse mode works pretty good too but the problem is that it's really easy to get the whole stand rockin' so I will stay away from that except when I'm "showing off". I say go for the mp40w now, you won't be dissapointed .

Kidzag, thank you for the information. I was concerned but I really wanted to get one and you just made everything easier. Would you happen to video of it running.

kidzag
06/14/2008, 10:55 PM
I can get some video of it in the morning, lights are out now. I will go through the modes, make some waves and then kick it into sandstorm mode just so you can get an idea of what it will do in your tank. I know I'm not using it to its full potential, but it sure is nice to know I've got the extra power for future expansion if I need it. I am a firm believer that the higher the light level the higher the flow needs to be and I can definitely move some water with this pump and my SPS love it.

Jasonanatal
06/15/2008, 04:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12749138#post12749138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kidzag
I can get some video of it in the morning, lights are out now. I will go through the modes, make some waves and then kick it into sandstorm mode just so you can get an idea of what it will do in your tank. I know I'm not using it to its full potential, but it sure is nice to know I've got the extra power for future expansion if I need it. I am a firm believer that the higher the light level the higher the flow needs to be and I can definitely move some water with this pump and my SPS love it.

Kidzag, I couldn't have said it better myself! Thank I can't wait to see the video.

kidzag
06/16/2008, 05:30 PM
Here's a short video of mine in pulse mode. It is turned down but not all the way down. I have another good one I'm uploading now, it's a close up of the polyps on my ORA green birds nest. I'll post here when it's done. I know the tank doesn't look that great yet but please keep in mind that it's only 6 weeks old and I already have significant growth on both my green and Hyacinth birds nests. Here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAgsQIljSKA

Jasonanatal
06/16/2008, 05:56 PM
Kidzag thanks for the video. I'm sooo getting mine soon.

kidzag
06/16/2008, 06:15 PM
Here's a closeup of my ORA Green birds nest. Sorry for the crappy video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_84aJ-AM98o