PDA

View Full Version : Reef Ready Tank

andy_b22
06/13/2008, 04:33 PM
Anyone got some good suggestions.....
Size: anywhere from 55 to 75 gallons.
Not looking to drop a huge sum of money on one.

TIA

Andrew
06/13/2008, 05:27 PM
Call around and get prices at all the local fish stores. You can also find a good deal here on Reef Central in the selling forums. :)

jgillard
06/13/2008, 05:41 PM
Reef Ready tanks generally means that the tank is drilled for an overflow. The problem is that they are not always ideal. You can always buy a regular tank and get it drilled to your specs but it would probably cost a bit more.

Paulairduck
06/14/2008, 12:13 AM
Reef Ready tanks are the only way to go, if you have ever had a hang on overflow cover your floor with water, it is not good!!!

andy_b22
06/14/2008, 11:44 AM
hehe, well I have an 55 gallon all glass tank but it is tempered glass....so drilling is out of the question right? I'm looking for a very quiet solution and I don't want to deal with any problem like Paulairduck stated!!!

Paulairduck
06/14/2008, 12:21 PM
The answer to that question is a lifereef overflow, but add the extra money the you would have spent on the hang on, to upgrade to a reef ready and you have a tank that will last you for a very long time, with one less issue to worry about.

andy_b22
06/14/2008, 12:37 PM
good deal, any brands that you would suggest or stay away from as far as a reef ready aquarium would go?

Paulairduck
06/14/2008, 12:46 PM
I have had good luck with Visio, I have had four tanks from them and not one issue. Lee Mar are good tanks. I stay away from acrylic, because for me, sand and acrylic dont work together, and everytime I cleaned that thing is got scratched.

But it was my first tank and I grew some LE edition algae!!:D

bohannbj
06/14/2008, 06:27 PM
Glasscages.com did a pretty good job with mine. They are by far the cheapest, but I would hassle them to make sure they don't let any air bubbles in the silicone.

Paulairduck
06/14/2008, 06:29 PM
I have seen the glass cage tanks and even inquired about a tank, I just missed the shipping date. I really dont like how they cut their overflow teeth, but that's just me. They do have good prices:)