PDA

View Full Version : Placement of Corals

chatyak
06/13/2008, 09:33 PM
I know that you need to place corals away from each other with a 6" minimum to prevent turf wars, stinging etc... Will they not grow and expand though and eventually run into each other?

I'd like to have frogspawn, hammer, open brain etc.... do these spread like wildfire as the zoos do?

Aquarist007
06/13/2008, 09:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12743239#post12743239 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chatyak
I know that you need to place corals away from each other with a 6" minimum to prevent turf wars, stinging etc... Will they not grow and expand though and eventually run into each other?

I'd like to have frogspawn, hammer, open brain etc.... do these spread like wildfire as the zoos do?

frogspawn and hammer will spread or grow new polyps and you do need space between them and other corals due to their stinger tentacles. Openbrain doesn't harm much and grows very slowly
when they grow too close you either frag them or move them

Bud Reeferman
06/13/2008, 09:47 PM
Lots of things can work together. Keep 'burners" together; frogspawn and torches. Certainly Zoos can be placed near other zoos and near brains, clams, acans, sunpolyps, mushrooms. You can go a LOT closer than 6". Just keep an eye on them -- if you see one coral burning another, move it. Some corals extend burning tips at night so keep an eye out for galexia and the like.