PDA

View Full Version : Clam disease

amashun
06/13/2008, 11:24 PM
I just wondering, does clam have some sort of internal disease?

Last week, i noticed my h.hippopus not doing well, probably i put it next to the rics and it got irritated by it. so i moved it to a location where nothing can touch it. It last for few days and passed away 2 days ago.

Today, i noticed one of my blue maxima clam is doing odd things. it is gapping now.

My tank does not have any fishes or invertebrate that will do any harm on the clam. don't have those annoying carnivorous clam snails as well.

I have this maxima for long time in the same location probably more than a yr. Clam is growing and always healthy until today. didn't move it or anything. place it directly under 250W MH in the middle section.

My water parameter is
ph 8.0
ALK 8.6dkh
Calcium 420ppm
PO4 0-0.03ppm
NO3 between 5-10ppm but close to 5ppm on the chart

So does clam really have some sort of internal disease that will lead they die one by one? I saw it somewhere people mention about it before. If there is, do you have a name for it so i can do some search on google.

Many thanks.
Adrian

amashun
06/13/2008, 11:49 PM
btw, i still have 2 T.maxima in my tank doing great plus a baby T.squamosa

a4twenty
06/14/2008, 05:10 AM
can you post a couple of pics?

list your fish / inverts?

are you running carbon?

how do you maintain Ca and Alk??

what do you dose the tank with??

PS: any new additions?

amashun
06/14/2008, 07:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12744395#post12744395 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by a4twenty
can you post a couple of pics?

list your fish / inverts?

are you running carbon?

how do you maintain Ca and Alk??

what do you dose the tank with??

PS: any new additions?
Here are the pictures, you can see clam is growing in my system.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/amashun/marine/IMG_6897.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/amashun/marine/IMG_6898.jpg
I know it is pretty much gone. I just noticed the gapping this morning. no sign of any gapping or look weird yesterday. it has been sitting in this location for at least 4 months

2 tangs, 5 chromis, 2 decora goby, 1 mandarin, 2 blenny, 1 bangaii,

many snails, 3 T.maxima, 1 baby squsomsa, couple hermit crabs

not running carbon until today

CA reactor to replenish CA and Alk

never dose my tank anything as i use NSW for water changes.

a4twenty
06/14/2008, 08:10 PM
i wonder about your source for NSW could be some contaminant, very hard to say without testing it. ( copper / silicates / ...... )

what type of blennies?? ( i think its more a param problem from the pic but...... )

your SPS is looking pretty good, what other corals do you have?? any play nasty chemical warfare??

tough to say what the problem could be, for now i'd run lots of carbon and keep an eye on them at night for problems ( pyrams / flatworm ) and post pics of any other symptoms if they appear.

JackKerouac
06/18/2008, 12:01 AM
mine did look like that after the flatworm attack :(

Apon
06/19/2008, 03:28 PM
What kind of flat worms attack clams? I would like to know.

JackKerouac
06/19/2008, 08:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12781189#post12781189 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Apon
What kind of flat worms attack clams? I would like to know.

take a look to mine poor ex clam
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=221649&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

JackKerouac
06/19/2008, 08:38 PM
lol i never learn how to post pics anyway it's in my gallery that nice flatworm

IridescentLily
06/22/2008, 04:52 PM
Aww, I'm sorry you lost your clams amashun. :-(

Apon
06/23/2008, 06:08 PM
wow that is a big flat worm!

johnnybravo234
06/23/2008, 06:31 PM
I'm going to have nightmares after seeing that thing.

nathenvan
06/23/2008, 08:29 PM
I would do a 20-30 mins water dip ( ph and temp must be the same as show tank). it looks to me like the clam is having some kind of matle disease. I know this will put more stress on the clam but at this point I think you have nothing to lose. Good luck

volcom69
06/30/2008, 01:53 PM
My clam last night is looking the same way and it evened spawned then also. My water parm.
Temp:77-79
cal-450
alk-9.2
mag-1350
ph-7.8-8.0
It is a crocea clam the only thing i did was i got a new canopy so i moved the lights up. I have 2-250watt MH and 54 watt t5. Could moving the light up alittle like that stress the clam out that bad. I also have a derasea that is doing good and is almost near my crocea. I checked for any type of bugs but didnt see any yet. My question is do i just leave him go and hope for the best or should i take him out dip him in something (i have Tropic Marin dip that i dip my sps in), and see what i get. Im pretty sure he wont make it but i guess you never know. Didnt mean to hijack the thread but your pic kind of looks whats happening to mine. Hes still there but gapped pretty bad. Thanks.

skinz78
06/30/2008, 04:50 PM
What fish and inverts do you have volcom? Can you post a pic? Maybe start another thread, when some threads get as many reply's as this one has I tend to not look at them anymore and I am guessing most others don't either so it is best to start your own thread. You probably will get a better response.

volcom69
06/30/2008, 07:49 PM
Its ok the clam didnt make im not really sure exactly what happend i have this clam for almost 3 years with no problem its like one day he looked like crap then was dead. He basically pulled his mantle back in and that was it. My first clam death and i hate it cause i have no clue what could have happened. I dont have any clam pickers in my tank i make sure of that before i buy my fish. My other clams are doing ok, it just bums me out cause he was growing crazy for me and no other crocea grew like that. Thanks anyways skinz next time ill start my own thread.