PDA

View Full Version : closed loop

x947
06/14/2008, 12:14 AM
i think i've got this closed loop system licked for my 90 gal reef ready acrylic tank.

I'll be using a reefflo snapper to drive the system. I will have 2, 2"bulkhead fittings low on the tank back to hopefully pull water out just above the sand level. these bulkheads will have a reducer in them so that I can use the 1 1/2" spa strainers to keep out uninvited guests. (one drain on each side of the center overflow box that basically splits the aquarium back) for the returns I will be putting 3 1" returns on a lateral line up along the back wall for each side (6 total returns).

my question is this . . . does it matter where along the flow pattern the reductions in the pvc size are made ? Should the reduction from 1.5" to 1" for the returns be made quickly after the water leaves the pump or near the 1" bulkheads further downstream. Same idea on the pump feeds - close to the pump or closer to the aquarium wall ?

or am I just overthinking the whole damn thing ?

thanks as usual for your sage advice !

Mike

x947
06/14/2008, 10:03 AM
re reading my post and I noticed that I asked about the pump "feed" . . .

the pump reutrns will be fixed with a 1 1/2 reducer on the ends . . .

however, where do I want to put the reducers on the feed lines ? or does it matter ?

thanks again