PDA

View Full Version : Old clownfish fighting with new clownfish

findin' Nemo
06/14/2008, 04:59 AM
My tank is a 28 gallon JBJ HQI.

I have a percula clownfish who has been living happily in his/her RBTA. I thought it could use a friend, so yesterday I brought home another clownfish. I thought they were different size when I picked it out, but it turns out that they are about the same.

They have been fighting since I put the new one in the tank.

After a few hours it was clear that the incumbent seems to have established dominance over the new fish. Now the new fish swims only around the edges of the tank and the incumbent zips out of the anemone from time to time to nip at the new fish.

Is it likely that once they work the status out that they will eventually share the anemone or is it more likely that the incumbent will pick on the new fish until it dies?

FN

myreefcentral
06/14/2008, 08:41 AM
it'll only pick on it until it dies if the new fish is also a female...most likely your old fish is female...if you've had it for a while now...

findin' Nemo
06/14/2008, 03:05 PM
Seem to be fighting a lot less today, it will be interesting to see what happens.

I thought the non-dominant fish could become the male. Is that not correct?

FN

jkrentz2515
06/14/2008, 04:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12746853#post12746853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by findin' Nemo
Seem to be fighting a lot less today, it will be interesting to see what happens.

I thought the non-dominant fish could become the male. Is that not correct?

FN

Thats true if it is still a juvenile. If it is older than it may already be sexed.

Prodd
06/14/2008, 05:29 PM
I had heard that clownfish should be bought once seen already paired in the dealers tank. Hence, when one of my percs died i have not replaced as i know the trouble quarrelsome fish cause from my freshwater days.
What you could try though, (although i state now that i am no expert on these fish), is to remove the dominant one for an hour or so into a quarantine tank. Move some of the decor, a few rocks just to change the surroundings, then re-introduce the dominant one. As a last resort it maybe worth a go, as it significantly reduced fighting among a few problem species i had when using freshwater tanks.
i'm sure someone will comment if i'am wrong about your particular scenario.

MMM33732
06/14/2008, 09:58 PM
I just got over the same thing myself. I put the old on in my fuge for a few days and left the new one in the display with the anemone. After a few days I put the old one back in and they were fine and are now paired up in the anemone together. See post: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1406568