PDA

View Full Version : Naso developing dark gray patches ?

nsinger
06/14/2008, 10:59 AM
I have a 4 inch male blond naso tang, purchased 3 weeks ago, in QT. I'm running hypo for some ich I noticed soon after purchase. He's finally eating chaeto from my DT and nori. 2 days ago I noticed that there may have been a few areas on his side that were darker gray than his usual color. Today I received a call from my fish-sitter that he's developed more dark gray areas, about 3mm in size, on his sides and face. Any ideas what this may be? Unfortunately I am out of town so I can't describe the areas any better and can't provide pics.

Thanks.

old salty
06/14/2008, 12:11 PM
Once you get this fish into the main display, you are going to notice some fascinating things about ocean creatures. Naso tangs will change colors continuously. If it gets stressed, it will turn dark grey, and develop beautiful patches along it's dorsal fin. It will "Look" angry!! All of my tangs do this (change colors with their mood), which really makes them treasures to enjoy.

You have nothing to worry about.

joeychitwood
06/14/2008, 12:57 PM
It could be Black Spot Disease, also known as Black Ich, although the spots are usually smaller than 3 mm. It is particularly common in tangs. It is caused by an infestation of tiny turbellarian flatworms. Treatment would consist of a freshwater dip.

Photos would be very helpful once you get home and get a chance.

nsinger
06/14/2008, 01:00 PM
I hope you're right, old salty. joeychitwood, could black ich survive in hypo?