PDA

View Full Version : moving my corner tank to 90 gallon with overflow

brad7373
06/14/2008, 11:35 PM
hey this is my 1st post on this site and hope it gets answered quick because i already am in the process of following this procedure. i have a 36 gallon corner reef tank i setup roughly 5 months ago, and am moving it to the new 90 =D. so far i have moved basically all the live rock into the 90 from the 36 but left 2 rocks for my corals, anemone, mushrooms, polyps, and my goby 2 burry under. i will also be cycling my other 45lbs of fiji premium from liveaquaria.com in a garbage can. i moved a handful of the bioballs from my hang on filter into my new sump in the 90 to help with the cycle. after about 2 weeks i hope to see the levels become proper in the garbage can to move my live rock in there over to the tank and hope to see stable levels within a few days after that in the tank. After that i plan to move the fish over along side a 30% waterchange on the 90 and move the water from the 36 into the 90. is this the best method? or does anyone have anything i should change or am i doing this proper? thanks for the help =)

pledosophy
06/15/2008, 12:49 AM
No that is not the best method. You removed most of your biological filtration from your 36g which can lead to significant problems.

The best method would be to cure the rock in the trash can, or inthe 90g and when it is cycled then move everything over to your 90g. You can start switching water between tanks for a few days before the move to better acclimate the corals and fish to the new water.

IMO you should put your LR back in the 36g until the new tank is ready.

scrmbld33
06/15/2008, 06:25 AM
i agree in pledosophy and

[welcome]

brad7373
06/15/2008, 09:48 AM
well to help with the filtration instead of doing 2week water changes im doing it every week. i really need to move that tank asap cuz i need the $$ to help towards the bills of the new 1 lol. but all in all i see your point but based on what im seeing my Amiracle sl-5 hang on wet dry with built in protein skimmer and 9v coralife uv sterilizer on it is doing fine and the fish seem perfectly ok with the change infact my polyps opened bigger than i ever seen them =p. so is this ok? or should i really put the rock back?

cczarnik
06/16/2008, 05:33 AM
Assuming you've had your WD up for a good period of time, there is probably enough biofilter remaining. If you have live sand in the tank that will support the filter as well. You're basically running a QT tank with minimal LR now.

brad7373
06/16/2008, 11:55 AM
so basically all i got to do is weekly water changes to stay on top of it? because the bioload in my opinion is prob 2 much for this low amount of rock but thats my 2cents