PDA

View Full Version : OOPS ! HELP ! Put too much in.

kenyacat
06/15/2008, 09:47 AM
Did my upgrade yesterday to the 75 gallon. Ammonia was fine this morning. I got some "Colonize" from DF&S to help stabilize in case I hit a mini cycle from losing some of my biological filter that lives on/in the sand I didn't take and tank inself.

Well, don't know what I was thinking. The instructions say 5ml per 10 gallons. I multplied 5ml by 70 and added 350 ml to my tank. I should have only added 37 ml.

How bad is this and what should I do?

Zestay
06/15/2008, 09:51 AM
water change 20%!

kenyacat
06/15/2008, 10:01 AM
I don't have any water. I buy my RO. Don't have enough to do more than top off for a week

SteveJakubiec
06/15/2008, 11:46 AM
Call wherever you got the stabilize from and ask if it is harmful for overdosing. Then if it is harmful, go get some water and do 20% wc like stated above.

flashyleopard
06/15/2008, 12:29 PM
I would guess you introduce too many bacteria for the bioload in your tank. Without enough waste for them to feed on, they will die and cause a mini cycle in themselves.I would keep an eye on things and check your parameters twice a day to be safe, but you should be ok.Dead bacteria in that amount should be able to be processed by your system just fine. Feeding the system as normal or even slightly more may help keep the bacteria from dieing all at once and by returning to normal feeding an bioload over time, the bacteria will slowly die in smaller amounts, rather than all at once, but I would think a water change would be easier and safer.Just wait it out a few days to a week, then do the water change....should give you time to get some salt and water together and your system time to sort out the bacteria and either show higher nitrogenous waste values or you may see no problems at all.

kenyacat
06/15/2008, 03:41 PM
Just tested now. Both ammonia and nitrates are 0 as best as can be determined with these colors on the strips. Good thing you said to feed the same, I was just thinking of feeding less to that I wasn't introducing more to the tank. Never thought of feeding the bacteria.

Will test twice daily. I did call Doctors Fosters and Smith and they said I should be okay too, but to test and do a wc if I see an increase in ammonia or nitrates.

Will also get more water. 75 gallons with a sump is a lot of water. I have been stockpiling for months, but didn't have much extra when I was done.

Can't believe I made such a mistake.

Thanks, Everyone.

kau_cinta_ku
06/15/2008, 03:46 PM
looks like your next purchase should be a RODI unit :D save your back.

good luck and hope all goes good with the tank though

kenyacat
06/20/2008, 03:08 PM
Okay, here it is on Friday afternoon and still my ammonia is 0 and my nitrates are 0. Am I out of the woods yet? I have my water now. Should I still plan a water change for this weekend, or wait until next weekend?

Not sure how long I should continue to test twice a day.

I am having a possible diatom bloom. Is that normal? I am putting a seperate post about that here as well.