PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Mushroom Growth-How to eliminate

cmm1970
06/15/2008, 11:03 AM
So I have this great tank that grows most anything I want to put in it. Downside is that years ago, I introduced a number of mushrooms to cover the live rock. Now, they are so prolific, that they are stinging my SPS.

I have learned that mechanically tearing out the shrooms just makes for more baby mushrooms all over the tank. Recently, I have tried injecting a thick solution of Kalkwasser into the ones I need to eliminate, but they seem impervious or resistant.

Do any of you have any hints for a surgical elimination so that I can "prune" my mushroom garden back a little without taking whole chunks of live rock out of the tank?

Thanks,
Mike

121ddler
06/16/2008, 12:03 AM
the way i used to do it was with a heavy dose of kalk... maybe try something in the nature of aptasia solutions might work... hope this helps

O-man21
06/16/2008, 12:08 AM
+1 on this, I need to get mine under control too.

pfish
06/16/2008, 12:20 AM
I used Kalk with a large dia syringe. Mix the kalk with water into a paste that will just barely be able to be sucked up with syringe. Then turn off flow in tank and coat the shrooms. Let sit for 30 min and turn on the pumps. The kalk hardens over the shrooms and kills them . You may have to repeat process a few times but this will work.

cmm1970
06/16/2008, 05:11 AM
Update: The mushrooms that I had injected twice have been affected by the kalk solution. I went in with forceps and was able to easily peel them off the rock. Their hold on the live rock was diminished tremendously. So, I ended up with a combination mechanical and chemical means of controlling them.

I think I will try the paste over the mushroom method. It sounds like a good approach.

More later!

Reef n' Madness
06/16/2008, 09:41 AM
I scrape the mushroom off and then paste over any little bits that might grow back later.