PDA

View Full Version : Can Calcium get too High???

tegee
06/15/2008, 03:29 PM
Hello:

In an effort to go to a more predominate SPS reef tank I have been tracking very closely my Alk, Calcium and Mag readings over the past 2+ months. I have a 180-gallon tank and been reefing for about 6 years now; most LPS corals. I really want to get to the next level with SPS corals and find them fascinating.

My Alk has been maintained between 7-9 steadily and my Mag has been between 1225-1350 during this time as well. During this time my Calcium levels have steadily been on the raise and currently it is at 550 ppm. My pH has been a tad on the low side during this time from a low of 7.9 to a high at 8.5 (I have tracked them day and nighttime readings). Temperature of tank is maintained at 78 degrees with JBJ chiller. Phosphates and Nitrates are 0 or close to zero.

Is 550 ppm too high for Calcium readings? If my pH too low and if so how can I raise it? I have a dosing pump and dose Calcium and Alk (two part - Little Fishes and now Randy's two-part receipt).

I am REALLY trying hard to get all my reading as perfect as possible, but the pH and Calcium have been a little out of the parameters.

In closing, I have been reading posts on Reef Central the past year or so and everyone's help and continued use on this forum has been tremendous. I participate in a similar forum for work related activities and know how important it is to have a type of forum like this to refer to. I have literally learned almost everything I currently know by reading and posting here. I typically read the Chemistry forum the most and find Randy's articles and help on this forum invaluable.

BTW: I have use (3) separate test kit brands: API, Salifert and Elos and must say all three have had exact readings. So IMHO sometimes less is more when spending monies on test kits (spent $26.00 on API's Reef Kit with Nitrate, Phosphate, Cal and Mag all in one kit). To that end, I will still continue to use multiple brands just in case to eliminate any inaccuracies. A little off topic, but have read many posts on test kits and do not see a need to go crazy spending big $$$ on kits.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to trying to solve my issue(s).

Thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/15/2008, 03:46 PM
550 ppm calcium is OK, but I'd probably allow it to drift down by not dosing the calcium (or dose less) for a while. :)

What salt mix are you using? Some are that high to begin with.

tegee
06/15/2008, 04:31 PM
Hello Randy,

I have been dosing just Alk for the past two weeks and removed the Calcium tubing off the dosing pump. I am using Seachem Reef Salt and just did a water change today. When testing the water change water it was 1.028 SG with the ph @ 8.0, temp. @ 79, Alk @ 9, Calcium @ 620 and mag was 1375. I know all high numbers! I may switch to IO salt because I am a bit concerned about these high numbers with water changes. I may try to get the SG down to 1.024-25 and see if that lowers all these values?

Thanks,
Tony

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/15/2008, 04:51 PM
To drop the salinity, try taking out a gallon or two of tank water at a time, and replace that with Ro/DI. In a few days it will be down to a level I'd target, 1.026 or so.

Using a lower calcium mix for a while might be a fine plan as well, but watch that magnesium does not get too low with something like IO.

tegee
06/15/2008, 05:07 PM
Randy,

I should have mentioned that I do not currently use a Calcium Reactor and only using a sulfur denitrator (for nitrates) as a source of my calcium until my demands need a CR. My tank SG is a tad high at 1.027 and I my top-off water is straight ro/di water and is not salt mix. I guess I will have to wait and see what the next couple of weeks do and next time I do a water change I will kept the SG @ 1.024 when mixing. I just want to make sure my calcium is not too high at 550 ppm. I really enjoy using Seachem salt because of the Mag readings and several other trace minerals. Maybe my next bucket I will try IO salt and test the readins during my mixing, etc.

As mentioned previous, I am just dosing Alk right now and topping of with straight ro/di. Any suggestions on raising my ph to get that high; maybe 8.3-8.5 daytime readings??? I think 8.0 is a tad too low for me.

Any other suggestions are welcome,
Tony

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/15/2008, 05:18 PM
I would not worry about the 550 ppm.

What do you dose for alkalinity?

tegee
06/15/2008, 05:42 PM
Right now I am using Two Little Fishes, but when that is used up I just made today a gallon of your Two-Part Baking Soda. I put 2 1/4 and baked it for i-hour at 300 degree and added that to 1-gallon of ro/di water. As I mentioned before, i am just dosing Alk right now and my only source of calcium is the ARM in the denitrator. And I want to get my ph up as well, so I am hoping that dosing just Alk that it will help?

Thanks a bunch for your input!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/15/2008, 06:38 PM
Yes, the baked baking soda should help pH, but I'm not sure how much different it will be than the TLF alk part.